Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Keeping a log

Keeping a log

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:38 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I have read several posts where some of you have indicated that you keep notes or a log of your BBQing and Smoking experiences.
I think I will start a log book of my own.
What type of information do you all record in your books? How do you set it up?

RichD

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:08 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Rich there is a tread around here somewhere that goes into great detail about logs. It even gives some templates for setting up your owm.

Actually I found it for you.
Try this,

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=589&highlight=log

It should answer all your questions.

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:04 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

RichD keeping a log is a little extra effort but I've found it to be well worth it. I can watch the temperature rise and almost see the curve at which it climbs, when it plateaus, and predict when it will be done. It also helps later down the road to repeat a success or avoid repeating a mistake.

In the thread Grand Scale mentioned there is a link to download the logs in either a PDF or XLS format. If they are no longer available let me know.

Also, take photos! You can keep them with your logs and you can also post them to share with us. A digital camera makes this easier, but any photo developer these days can transfer your film photos to a CDROM when they develop them. I’ll get off my soapbox now… :)

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:13 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Thanks for the link Grand Scale, I will check it out.
Bob-BQN thanks for the input. I will definitely start taking some pictures. Especially after seeing the pics on your site. I compile and burn to cd digital photoalbums on the side. Sometimes I take the pics sometime I scan them to digital for my customer. Anyway, I will be sure to post some pics as I start with my log.

RichD

Return to General Discussion