Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weber Ranch Kettle

Weber Ranch Kettle

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:37 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Ok folks, I am casting about for a new grill. I am considering a Cajun Grill (http://www.cajungrill.com/ ), and of course either a Weber Gold or Ranch Kettle. The Ranch Kettle is a prospect because of its size, but it looks kind of flat compared to the standard Webers. Is it deep enough to do a beer can chicken? I bet Airfoil has a quick answer

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:11 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Multiple beer can chickens :wink:

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:42 am
Vinsect well done
well done

The ranch kettle is pretty much the Death Star. If you get one, go out and get some Star Wars toy fighters to prop around it on the patio. Besides it'll give you something to do during those long smokes. With all that smoke billowing out the Weber you can pretend youre Luke Skywalker blowing up the Death Star.

Or you could make it a sacrificial altar,
Or you could just sit back , drink beer, and grill a whole cow.

Before you go out and buy one though, consider this. Get an assortment of the smaller sizes. A Smokey Joe, an 18 1/2", a 22 1/2". At least one of each and maybe the bullet smoker too. Look at it like a set of cookware that comes with pots and pans of multiple sizes. For each meal, you pick out the right sized pot for the job and for big meals you use multiple pots or all of them simultaneously.
I plan on gradually doing this myself. Its more fuel efficient for one thing. There are really several benefits the more I think about it.
I bought a really deluxe set of cookware several years ago and one thing I learned was that cooking a meal in the right sized pot or pan makes more difference than most would think.
May the Force be with you.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:33 am
Chicago SP rare
rare

I'm a recent convert to the Cajun Grill ... the finest grill I've ever owned...but can't do without a Weber kettle (in my case, an old 26" model). I agree with Vinsect that having more than one is a great option. For parties, I load up the weber with corn on the cob, onions and potatoes, leaving the cajun for high-heat, low-heat or whatever.

I looked at the ranch kettle pretty seriously before settling on the Cajun Grill. Just my personal opinion, but I found the Cajun offered more features and flexibility, like the add-on smoker box, adjustable coal tray, dutch oven holder, ash pan, etc.

But you probably can't go wrong either way...just invite us all to the party!!

sp

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:08 am
chagan well done
well done

ThrRoff wrote:
The Ranch Kettle is a prospect because of its size, but it looks kind of flat compared to the standard Webers.

This is because of it's size- it's an illusion. You won't have any trouble cooking a beer canned whatever on that monster.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:44 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Larry the kind folks at Weber say that the clearence from the food grate to the lid one the Ranch Kettle is 10 inches. But I would recommend trying to find one and measure it.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:49 pm
chagan well done
well done

Thanks Bob, but that may mean the lowest part of the lid. I think that to the crown would be much higher. I shall investigate.....

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:05 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Appreciate any assistance! :)

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:06 pm
chagan well done
well done

Still looking, but in the mean time......

http://store.yahoo.com/1bestbuyelectron ... gasgr.html

:D

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:16 pm
chagan well done
well done

Wow, I called Weber because I was tired of surfing around, and they say that it is 91/2 inches grill grates to peak of lid- surprising! Looks bigger, but on viewing other pictures it appears that the grate is mounted very high (to maximize cooking area). I'd still take one if one were to offer it as a gift though. Still should be more than enough to do a couple beer can whatchamacallits. More of a mass direct grilling design for stubby food.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:24 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

chagan wrote:
Wow, I called Weber because I was tired of surfing around, and they say that it is 91/2 inches grill grates to peak of lid- surprising! Looks bigger, but on viewing other pictures it appears that the grate is mounted very high (to maximize cooking area). I'd still take one if one were to offer it as a gift though. Still should be more than enough to do a couple beer can whatchamacallits. More of a mass direct grilling design for stubby food.

Actually it's quite a deft smoker as well chagan due in large part to it's size. I'm sure you've smoked things in your Platinum as I have. The Ranch's size is more forgiving with lower temps and heat spikes aren't as sharp. I only ever use fryers when I do beer can and never have problems. I suppose if you used a roaster you might have a tighter fit. Weber sells a device specifically for this method that supposedly allows a lower profile for beer can chickens. I've been meaning to get one and give it a try. Has anyone else got this accessory?

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:25 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Thanks all. 9 1/2 inches is questionable. Thanks Airfoil. I think that I am going to have to visit the local BBQ Galore place with a beer can and chicken.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:29 pm
chagan well done
well done

Good Point on the Ranch Airfoils. I haven't purchased the Weber Beer Can Chicken Holder, but I do like it's design- it has a built in bowl to catch the chicken juices so you can make a nice sauce when you deglaze it. I think that I shall place an order presently.

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/acce ... ensil.aspx

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:41 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Airfoils,
I have a Weber Poultry Roaster that was given to me as a Christmas present, and it is one of my favorites. All the surfaces, including the Base Cup, that come in contact with food/drippings are coated, and that makes clean-up a breeze. As Chagan has pointed out, it has a tray that catches all of the drippings. The base adds stability that, in my opinion, makes it pretty easy to use. It has to be hand washed, and not to be put in the dishwasher. There are plus and minus', but for me, I think it is great..just my opinion. :D

Pete

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:50 pm
Biggest rare
rare

Isn't the standard 22.5 kettle about 9.5" also?

Next

Return to General Discussion