Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Bacon makes everything better

Bacon makes everything better

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:12 pm
Zeke rare
rare

Bacon is one of my favorite things in the world. In fact, I challenge anyone to name a food - that is not a desset or a dairy product - that is not made better with bacon. I can't think of any - because bacon is the greatest condiment ever.

I'm planning on hosting a large bbq very soon and will be smoking pork shoulders. I was wondering, if I laid a few strips of bacon over a pork butt - would the bacon do anything to enhance it? Whenever I make a meatloaf, I always put a few strips of bacon over the top - and it's amazing.

I'm curious to see if anyone has tried this before and what the results were. I know bacon is usually fried at a high temperature, and it's already smoked - so I wonder if it will overpower the pork butt (and make it extremely greasy). But in my mind, I think this pork shoulder & bacon would be a great combination.

Regardless of what I hear, I'm going to try this on at least one of the butts...but I'm interested in hearing what the wise folks on this board have to say this about this plan.

Also, if anyone has any creative tips on using bacon as a part of grilling/barbecuing/smoking - I'd love to hear them.
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:36 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon.
butcher bacon.
63' "original"
73' 149 hydro

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:10 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Personally, I think you'd be gilding the lily. (Not that I ever pass up a chance to gnaw on a stip of slightly , just ever so slightly, thickly hand sliced slab.) Bacon is cold smoked to get that flavor that we all find so addicting.

If your butt has enough fat cap, your rub has enough salt and just a wee touch of turbinado sugar, you choose to give yourself the proper amount of time to cook it without having to push the temperature and the right wood (a mixture of apple and hickory works well for me). Your pork shouldn't need the extra kick.

BUT!, What's the harm in trying! Like garlic (not quite but almost) a little extra bacon can't hurt. And besides, if it looks like the bacon's about to burn, you can alway sneak it outta there and scarf it down with your first morning beer.

:wink:

Hint: When smoking early in the morning I have taken a metal camping plate and made smoker omlettes on the grate closest to the fire box. And throw a six pack of bacon strips on the grate next to the plate to go with. No need for the smoker to come to temp completely empty!.

YB

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:34 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I love to wrap bacon around game birds (pheasant, quail, chuckar, duck, and goose) baste with a little italian dressing. Yum

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:25 pm
Zeke rare
rare

I love that idea of using the smoker to cook breakfast. Thanks for that tip!

The best bacon things I've done on the grill to date are:

+ bacon wrapped scallops
+ bacon wrapped filet mignon
+ bacon draped over a beer can chicken

Butcher bacon is the key. The stuff you get in the grocery store is pretty good, but when you can get a butcher to cut your bacon at that perfect thickness - there's nothing like it.

The thicker the bacon, the slower you need to cook it so I imagine it would stand up well to spending some time in the smoker.

The great bacon experiment will occur in the next three weeks - I'll post back how it worked out!

Cheers,
Zeke
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:32 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

If you want to see a cold smoker conversion go here:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldsmoker.html

You might not have a bullet but the concept is the same and can be applied to other smokers.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:32 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Where I picture the bacon going with pork butt, I see it on a pulled pork sandwich. Melt in your mouth pulled pork drizzled with vinegar sauce with some bacon for crispness. I'm not a slaw eater so I'm still yet to put that on my sandwich. I'll try a vinegar slaw someday. Some onions on that sandwich would be righteous too.
One of the many wonderful things about bacon, it can add an extra texture to whatever you put it on. Furthermore it can be a crispy texture or a flimsier greasy/ juicy texture.
It even goes with peanut butter.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:12 am
spfranz well done
well done

Now, I'm really liking that idea Vinsect. Bacon on a pulled pork sandwich. Juicy pork fat meat with extra pork fat. I'm drooling all over. Pork fat rules!

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Return to General Discussion