Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Dripping flavor

Dripping flavor

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:09 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I'm having Easter dinner tonight because tomorrow is supposed to be a continuous downpour (in which case I'll just smoke roast potatoes w/ hickory and load'em), and while working the Weber bullet, this evening (right now actually), I got to wondering how some of you prefer to drip flavor foods, like, do you like ribs dripping over briskets or do you like a turkey basted with continuous dripping from a pork shoulder, etc. Shoulder over turkey is fun for me sometimes and a fave but not as often since I'm a total freak for rotisserie turkey on my Weber Platinum.

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:46 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well folks, you heard it here.

He admits he's a total freak and he likes things that drip!

YB

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:40 am
Airfoils well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
Well folks, you heard it here.

He admits he's a total freak and he likes things that drip!

YB

My bullet is bigger than yours. :)

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:54 am
smokyblues well done
well done

You might want to see a doctor about that drip. I 've heard they can cure such things as a nasty drip.
keep it smoky

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:47 pm
chagan well done
well done

No comments on the medical problem, however, I am curious to know how you like the rotisserie. Worth the investment? Can you take off the rotiserrie hardware and just use the extension for taller foods i.e. beer can turkey? Does the lid fit on top of the extension? Thanks for the advise, and welcome to 300!

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:31 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

chagan wrote:
No comments on the medical problem, however, I am curious to know how you like the rotisserie. Worth the investment? Can you take off the rotiserrie hardware and just use the extension for taller foods i.e. beer can turkey? Does the lid fit on top of the extension? Thanks for the advise, and welcome to 300!

Yes I suppose you could do a beer can turkey with the extension but I couldn't bring myself to do it when I could otherwise use the rotisserie. :D

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:33 pm
TOMP rare
rare

Airfoils,
What else do you cook w/ the rotisserie? I received one recently for my birthday. I also have the same Weber as you! Any tricks or tips you can pass on re: Turkey would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to try the turkey first and then possibly do it for Memorial Day. Do you cook other items on the grill while you are rotisseriing the turkey?

Thanks

Tom

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:13 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

TOMP wrote:
Airfoils,
What else do you cook w/ the rotisserie? I received one recently for my birthday. I also have the same Weber as you! Any tricks or tips you can pass on re: Turkey would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to try the turkey first and then possibly do it for Memorial Day. Do you cook other items on the grill while you are rotisseriing the turkey?
Thanks
Tom

Hi TOMP, yes, it seems like there is quite the contingent of Weber Platinum owners here which is fun, congrats on what I think is a good purchasing decision. I don't usually cook anything else with whatever I have on the rotissrie, though I see no reason why you couldn't, it would be awkward unless you just tossed potatoes in the coals or something. Usually, I just use my other 22 1/2 if I need sides. I cook all manner of poultry on it, and prefer this method to any other though I admit being lazy sometimes and sitting one on a beer can. Of course, you aren't restricted to birds, you can cook any number of roasts etc. I would highly reccomend you trying chickens 1st before you go with a turkey just to get a feel for things. Remember too that the motor it comes with is not rated for anything more than 12 lbs which your instructions should have mentioned. Be sure and take the time to balance any food on the spit to increase the life of your motor. It is also very prudent to purchase some trussing needles as you will have to sew the main cavity shut after stuffing it (I use apples or onions, etc).

As far as turkey tips, my prefference is usually apple w/ oak or straight up hickory.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:30 pm
TOMP rare
rare

Thanks Airfoils. I just grilled 2 Beer Acn chickens yesterday.Now I Wished I had rotisseried them. But I will take your advice Re: chickens first.

I don't recall reading about a 12 lb max on the rotisserie. Is there a way to upgrade the motor. Also in HTG they mentioned weights for balancing. Do you use these and where do I find them?

Thanks
Tom

Return to General Discussion