Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion smoking ham

smoking ham

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:45 pm
treeman

anyone have any tips on smoking a whole ham such as rubs or different woods to use

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:23 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy treeman! Welcome to the board.

Sorry I was out yesterday, had to attend a conference. We had a member say the had a great ham recipe yesterday. Click Me.

I have done ham as well, Click Here to See. But I didn't use a rub. I simply smoked it in the smoker and basted it every hour with apple cider (probably didn't have to baste it, just habit). The last two hours I switched from basting to a glaze. Just brush on some maple syrup (or honey) and the syrup will thicken and make it look like its candy coated. The glaze makes for a beautiful presentation.

Woods that I've found good for pork are pecan and apple, and of course hickory which I like for almost everything.

Good luck and glad you've joined us.
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:05 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I was going to start a new thread until I found this one. Let's explore this a little further.
Bob-BQN I was on your WWW and made myself very hungry. I took a look at your ham and it looks like it came out very nice. Hope it tasted as good as it looked.
Here are my questions:

1. Did you use a fresh ham or cooked ham?
2. Was it a whole ham or shank? I wasn't sure from your picture.
3. How much did it weigh?
4. At what temp did you cook it at and how long did it take?

I think that's all for now.

RichD

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:22 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

RichD,

Let me try to remember as I believe this was cooked before I started keeping a log:

1. It was a fully cooked ham, all the wife could find. But I knew it would still benefit from smoking?
2. It was a picnic ham from the front leg (the knee up).
3. I'm guessing it weighed about 14lbs?
4. It was cooking at 225 degrees with a brisket and turkey breast. I think it went for 7 hours?

I will review my logs when I get the chance to see if I recorded it and update this post if I find it to be off. Sorry it's been several months.

Hope this answers your question.

Edit: P.S. I just checked and this was before logs were kept. Exact information remains a mystery.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:51 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I had heard that smoking hams takes at least a week which I could believe given how dense hams are. Anyway, as far as glazes go, another method is to use a torch and carmelize the sugars on the surface of the ham. Quite often this is a rub comprised of brown sugar and spices. To the best of my understanding this is best done after the ham has cooled which if you are cold smoking won't make a difference obviously.

Return to General Discussion