Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chipotles in rubs

Chipotles in rubs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:03 pm
waterman raw
raw

I fianally found some dried chipotles , they smell great.
Now what the heck do i do with them. Anybody have a good rub reciep?? Thanks.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:46 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

If you need ground chipotle, try this link:
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/ ... potle.html
I’ve bought many spices from them; the quality of their products is excellent.
As far as the rub, you can use ground chipotle whenever the recipe calls for chili pepper. I would cut the amount to half chipotles and half chili pepper, because it has an intense smoky flavor. I would rather get the smoke flavor from wood (that’s my own preference). Check the posts under “Chipotles” for more ideas.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:17 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

BBcue-Z wrote:
If you need ground chipotle, try this link:
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/ ... potle.html

Yes Penzys is fantastic! I have a penzys near where I live and I absolutly love the place, If you have not done so, sign up for their free catalog. Not only do they have all their spices listed in a nice color catalog but they have a lot or great information and recipes. It gets sent a few times a year.
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:32 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Two things.

First.
Grind 'em up to a fine powder using either an electric coffee grinder (which you reserve for grinding Chile's only!) Or in a blender which you wash with detergent, then a water and oil mixture and finally wipe out with a paper towel soaked in liquor of some sort.

Peppers have flavor and heat compounds that are soluble in water, oil and alcohol. If you don't remove all of these the container (unless glass) can pass these along to other batches.
I don't think the wife fancies a chipotle margarita!.

Second.
Taste 'em. Lick your pinky, dip into the powder and taste. See how hot it is. See how smokey it is. Your taste buds should tell you how to use it.

Chipotle in adobe sauce is an important addition to a paste type rub. Whiz up a can. Taste it for heat (they differ) and start playin'

A small amount of this can add an incredible depth of flavor to ribs, birds of all kinds and even zukes. A little in 'tater salad's good too. A paste made with olive oil, pureed chipotle in adobe, s+p and herb's du jour rubbed onto almost any veggie (taters too) will do the trick.

Beef just soaks up chipotle. Blenderize chipotles, garlic, onion, a small piece of fat back or salt pork, fresh ground pepper ( gotta come up with a shorthand version of that), cumin etc. Rub on your meat. (keep it G. Plus you'll only do it once.) let sit for a couple of... Oh you know the drill. Cook in the style of your choice. Mopping, basting, etc.

The "good" rub recipe is up to you. Steven has given us many starting points . Start tweaking ingredients, and see what you come up with. I'm doubtful you can make it inedible.

That's the FUN!

YB

P.S. Write down the stuff that works. Perfection has proven to be fleeting![/code]

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:03 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I like spicy foodm but I don't like painful food. I also don't like it when the heat overwhelms all other flavors. I eat, and love cajun food, mexican food, and hot chinese fod. I don't eat things like poppers. I believe heat should be a part of, not completely dominate the dish.

That said, I bought chipotles in adobo sauce for a blueberry BBQ sauce recipe. The recpe calles for 1/4 cup. I put *one* pepper in the sauce, broke it , stirred it around, and took it out. The sauce was just below the painful level. The only taste was sweet and the hot! These things are too hot for me!
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:18 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Paul,
You may want to try the chipotle powder. It’s not as hot as the whole pepper and you can use as little as you want. It also dissolves easily in sauces. I found a combo of half ancho chili powder and half chipotle powder works very well. Ancho has a sweet flavor and chipotle has a smoky and hot flavor. It’s a wining combination.

Return to General Discussion