Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cast Iron Grids

Cast Iron Grids

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:57 pm
billcros@ev1.com

Simple question, simple answer but it's been too long. What do I do about cast iron grids that have ruested?

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:07 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wire brush them. Wash and rinse well. Dry over heat real well. Let cool alittle and smear shortening on all surfaces.Put into the grill at low temp for a while brushing more lube on as needed.

AND TRY NOT TO LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!

If they are too far gone you might be better off replacing them. Depends on how much work you want to put into them.

YB

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:18 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

There are several ways to clean them:
1- Soak them in plain Coke for half an hour and then washing them well. You’ll be amazed how the Coke will eat up all the rust
2- Run them through the cleaning cycle of your oven, then brush them with a grill brush when they’re cooled down
3- Scrub them with a tough metal brush until all the rust is gone.
No matter what method you use, you’ll have to cure/season them again. And that’s simply achieved by brushing them with vegetable oil and heating them up. I found the Coke method is the easiest to use. It’s almost effortless. If you’re skeptical about this method, just give it a try and see for yourself. It well only coast you 50 cents for a can of Coke.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:04 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Gonna try it this weekend . Got some old grates that will give it the test!

YB

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:26 am
smoke rare
rare

Don't worry, it will outlast you.

I built a natural stone pit around a rusty cast iron grill for my father when I was sixteen years old, and that was when I was hoping there'd be a war in Viet Nam so I could be just like the guys on the "Combat" tv show.

I cooked a big barbeque chicken dinner for him and all his friends on that grill a couple of years ago for his 80th birthday.

If you're talking about the grate the fire sits on. Nothing. There is no trick or anything you can do. No matter how much you sand or steel wool or season with lard, or oil, or witches brew, it will always be rusty. Can't take the heat. That's why it got out of the kitchen and is sitting out there waiting for you to build another hot fire on it. Better hurry! If you take good care of your health and are very young, it might rust through before you die!

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:42 pm
taoiseach raw
raw

OK, last year I posted a question about porcelain grid rust. I know what I did there: never use a brass-bristle brush on porcelain.

So, I decided this year to replace the grid with cast iron. Cooks like a dream: best grilling experience I've ever had. Especially since the Char-Broil grid is reversable for grilling and searing (nice for veggies).

But now it is rusting. I followed the directions for doing the initial seasoning, and have been carfeful to oil the grid both before and after cooking. Yet, if I don't grill for a few days, when I go to use the grill I find rust on the grid.

Why would the grid rust despite being oiled? Could it be that some vegetable oils contained water and that causes the grid to rust? Could it be the application method? I use a pump-sprayer rather than the paper-towel-in-the-tongs method. Could that be putting moisture on the grid?

It's all so frustrating...

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:21 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

It is cast iron's nature to rust. You should clean gently with warm water and a scrubber that will not take off the seasoning on the grate. You should season the grate frequently. At some point in time you will get that black cast iron frying pan look. This is a well seasoned grate.
One thing to consider is where you are storing your grates. If you are keeping them in the grill/smoker then they will constantly be exposed to changing weather and moisture conditions. Not directly exposed, but none the less exposed to the moisture in the air. I would recomend that you keep them inside in a dry place. This should help to prevent them from rusting and keep your frustration level much lower.

RichD

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:26 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Actually a brass bristle brush is OK on porcelain. Steel grill and welding brushes are NOT.
If the grate is hot go easy with the brush. Percelain softens with heat.

I oil my cast iron and store in a plastic bag for longer term storage.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:33 pm
502mids well done
well done

I know that cast iron frying pans are NOT supposed to be cleaned with soap and water but just scoured with coarsesalt. Anyone ever try that on a cast iron grid? I don't have one, just a theory.

Return to General Discussion