Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Indirect Cooking Question

Indirect Cooking Question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:48 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I recently bought Steve's book "How To Barbecue" and have a questions for you all.
Many of the techniques in his book call for Indirect Cooking. Here is my question. When using the indirect cooking method in a horizontal smoker such as the Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe would you set up with the charcoal in the firebox to generate your heat and smoke or would you set up as a grill with the charcoal in the main box separating the coals into two zones and cook in the center of the grill?

RichD

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:46 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

RichD,
It’s a matter of Temperature and Time. If you use the method Steve suggested, you’ll be cooking at much higher temp and thus the food will cook quicker. If you’re using a smoker, then you’re cooking at much lower temp and the food will take longer. I have a horizontal smoker as well. And in the instruction book, they give two charts, one for cooking with an off set firebox, and one for indirect cooking inside the food chamber. The time on the second chart is much shorter than the one with the firebox. For example, a 12 lbs turkey would take 2-3 hours using the main chamber and the indirect method, and 5-6 hours when using a side firebox (per instructions).
I hope this answers your question.

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:42 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

BBcue-Z wrote:
For example, a 12 lbs turkey would take 2-3 hours using the main chamber and the indirect method, and 5-6 hours when using a side firebox (per instructions).

I think thats assuming you are using the side firebox method for low & slow. Sometimes I'll fill my side firebox with a load of wood and get that thing roaring hot! (600 +) I like to do whole chickens this way.
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:48 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Yes, Iwas referring to low and slow cooking. Since RichD’s question was on indirect cooking, I assumed he was inquiring about that method of cooking.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:20 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Thank you both for your input. BBcue-Z's answer was the one I was looking for although AndyC I will certainly consider your reply too.
Thanks again.

RichD

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:39 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We are talking about three distinct types of cooking.

Direct is grilling.

Indirect is grill roasting. This involves temps. one would use in an oven. With the added flavor from the fuel. (and it's not heating up the kitchen)

Smoking is a low to medium temp. technique for introducing the flavor of the fuel and the benefits of slow cooking (think crock pot here guys, it ain't that different), which break down the meat fibers and render it more tender.

YB

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:40 pm

Having read my original question and all of your responses I think I kind of missed what I really wanted to know.
I do understand that Indirect Grilling cooks at a higher heat and is like roasting. I think what I was really trying to get at is for recipes that call for the Indirect Grilling technique can you use the Smoking technique and achieve similar results in taste and tenderness?
I will be getting a Brinkmann Pitmaster Deluxe very soon and can't wait to try out some of the recipes in Steve's book.
In the mean time I am going to do a beer can chicken and barbecued cabbage on my gas grill this weekend.

RichD

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:42 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Sorry that last post was from me. I got distracted and the forum must have logged me off before I finished the post.

RichD

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:17 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Yes, you can definitely use the smoking technique and achieve similar results in taste and tenderness. I believe it tastes even better because as BBcue-Z mentioned "It’s a matter of Temperature and Time." Using the offset your temps will be lower (Unless you start a large fire) therefore your cooking time will be longer. The longer times allow foods to absorb more smoke and flavor.

The beer can chicken, BBQ'd cabbage, etc. require the indirect method but I've used my smoker to cook them with great success. Just keep in mine that it will take longer than the times recommended in the recipe and start cooking earlier to compensate.

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:53 pm

:oops: I CAN'T REMEMBER YOUR RECIPE FOR BARBERCUEING CORN ON THE COB?[/list][/quote]

Return to General Discussion