Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Bone in Leg of Lamb

Bone in Leg of Lamb

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:54 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

For the familys upcoming Easter Sunday feast I have ordered an 8 pound bone in leg of lamb. I'm thinking of following Steve's Recipe from HTG and using my rotisserie. Does anyone have any other ideas or pointers?

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:02 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just don't kill it. I think the reason some people won't eat lamb is the smell it has when it's over cooked.

I usually do a butterflied leg with lots of olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, rosemary and s&p.

Last one we did trimmed out so big it almost covered the top of the 22" Weber. YUUMMM!

Leftovers make the best lamb stew. Brings the flavor of the fire with it.

Grapevines work well as a smoke source. You should have some vinyards around York.

YB

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:17 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Grand,
I cook lamb almost 3-4 times/month. I’ve tried almost all of Steve’s recipes and every one of them turned out great. I also like to experiment with different marinades. Here is one I just used yesterday and it turned out very good.
Equal parts of each of the following fresh herbs:
Italian Parsley
Oregano or basil leaves
Mint leaves
4-5 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of E.V. olive oil
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/4 of red wine vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
I like a Middle Eastern rub on my lamb, but you can use any rub you like. Place the rub all over the lamb, and then pour the marinade all over it. Cover and refrigerate overnight. If you’re not planning on butter flying the lamb, then make several slits and work the marinade in. Also create a channel around the bone (from top an bottom) and work in some of the marinade.
I also like all yogurt-based marinades; they work very well with lamb. Whichever way you use, please let us know of the results. I’ll be using the Trashcan method to cook a whole lamb.
Happy Easter.

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:16 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

You've read my mind!
I am gonna try to grill lamb as well.

I've never grilled it. I've only eaten it at restaurants.

I can use any pointers you guys mention as well.

What are good sides to serve with it?

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:48 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

sharky wrote:
What are good sides to serve with it?

Baba Ghanoush, Hummus, Tabboulhae (parsley and cracked wheat salad), Rice Pilaf, Bulgur wheat Pilaf, couscous, Roasted vegetables (or grilled), Tzatzik, grilled Pita bread with chili paste, stuffed grape leaves, stuffed zucchini and eggplants,….etc.

Return to General Discussion