Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Propane Smokers

Propane Smokers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:24 pm
Nige raw
raw

I'm getting ready to buy a new smoker. I have thought about a propane smoker.
Has anyone used one?

Also, when I read discussions about Brisket I always hear about moping and basting.
If you baste every hour do you not lose heat?

Cheers, N

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:02 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yes, you will lose some heat.

How much is determined by the outside conditions. Windy, cool temperatures, rain etc.

Unless you have a really large smoke chamber most units will recover quickly.

Best advice is to spray on your mop, keeping the chamber open as short a time as possible.

The alternative to not basting is dried out surface to your meat.

Water pans might help but there is a difference of opinions regarding their use.
Do a search on this board to review past threads

YB

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:37 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I use a propane smoker and really like it for what I do. It depends on how much you plan on using it and what you plan on using it for. Search some of the older posts, and if you still have questions feel free toask.

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:11 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Nige!

If you'll take a look at my "WWW" link below my posts, you'll see that I use a couple of charcoal smokers as well as a propane one. The large, black, square, upright smoker is the LP one. Quite a bit of the food in the photos came from it. It's a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain gas smoker. They also make it in a charcoal version. As mentioned it loses heat when the door is opened but it will recover in about 5 minutes. That's why you only open it once an hour. Mopping/basting is very important for brisket.

See you around the board.

Return to General Discussion