Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion 1st post

1st post

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:34 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Big D wrote:
Welcome....

I definetly can relate... for years I have loved BBQ and cookouts with friends over... I am all about the show and like to be the 'hostess with the mostess'.... I used to go to the hardware stores and see the great big stainless steel grills then I meet a few people with home-made brick bbq pits, massive monuments that should join the list of man made wonders of the world....

When I found HTG and the 'bible' (which I keep on my night stand right beside Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations which are two books very dear to my heart) I was in aww. I have had many cooks outs in the backyard with steaks, burgers and boiling lobsters, mussels, clams and corn on the cob..... always a lot of food and a lot of fun but always the same.. I had heard of grilling corn on the cob and pizza but some of the ideas ya get are like 'WOW'.... I cant wait for summer to kick off in full force here with everyone returning home from school so I can have a real cookout and knock peoples socks off!

If you're really after something different, go with BBQ Bible. It has a lot of exotic stuff from around the world. I wish he had a volume 2 of Bible. I particularly enjoy the mid-east dishes marinated in yogurt. 8) My guests are usually amazed thanks to this book. I admit however I rarely replicate Steve's recipe's verbatim anymore though now that I have a better sense of things. Often I'll incorporate a couple or few of Steve's recipes to come up with a hybrid. But doing things exactly as Steve says often produces great results. There have been a few duds for me, but maybe I can chalk that up to personal prefference. Most of it is pretty knock out stuff.

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:39 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Big D, welcome to the group and to the adventure. It sounds like you've discovered what all the fuss is about. Grills arent just for steaks, burgers, hot dogs, and chicken. Anything you can cook in a kitchen can be done in your back yard with more flavor, & more showmanship to the bedazzlement of all your friends and neighbors.
BTW, I replied to your beer question in the Abermarle post.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:14 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Thank you kindly for the welcomes. I agree, we need some bumper stickers. Something like " Steves BBQ Brigade" or " If you can catch it, you can grill it". :twisted: I'll be visiting the bookstore soon to get some of the other books.

Previous

Return to General Discussion