Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Repairing rust on grills?

Repairing rust on grills?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:45 am
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Anyone ever do this? I saw at hime depot they have some rust stopping/paint for high heat metals (grills), but am worried it may impart nasty flavors on the food.

As you can see, my smoker is in pretty bad shape right now. :cry:

Thanks
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:05 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That thing' s just gettin' broken in!! Looks just like mine. Except my shelf fell off. Replaced it with alluminum diamond plate. Looks like a rusty pick-up with pimp hubcaps.

Do not paint the inside!

www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=4959#4959

Roffee had a post re: curing a new smoker this also applies to repainting.

www.bbqpits.com

David Klose talks about how he applies paint to his new smokers over a three day period.

Letting each coat dry for 24 hours.

Then doing a slow burn to cure it.

Rob

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:46 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the Barbecue Bible AndyC.

Great advice YB. Might I second the point about not painting the interior of your smoker. Just cure/season the inside with oil or lard one to two times a year.

We'd like to see the "after" photos when you get it reconditioned.

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:23 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Hey thanks for links Bob. I don't plan on trying paint the inside I'll stick to the outside. I'll post back when I finish it so we can see how the "after" looks. Since the weekend is coming up, I switch from Gas to wood & charcoal so it will have to wait till monday as my ol' rust bucket is going to get a work out. :wink:

uhhg that was me. :oops:

:idea: :oops: :?: I give up

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:28 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Painting the outside should be OK IMO. Can't see how it would affect the food inside. What's the need for some complex paint/cure method? Seems to me you just follow the manufacturer's directions. Remember, this paint is engineered for hot surfaces like wood stoves. I's be willing to bet that your typical wood stove gets much hotter than a smoker.

On another note, has anyone tried using a large grill cover with a hole cut for the stack as a cover for their smoker. It obviously wouldn't work for a trailer-towed rig, and there would be some leakage around the stack opening (elastic or cord?) but it would protect most of the body.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:33 pm
hotchef well done
well done

You are talking about smokers but I was wondering what kind of paint I should use on my grill? I just got a brand new Weber one touch Platinum and I looked the other day and there are two places that look like something hit it and chipped the paint off. I want to make sure it stays intact but I don't know what to use on it. Thanks.

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:47 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Well I don't just use it for smoking. I do direct grilling & indirect Q'ing also. This puppy gets REALLY hot when the firebox has a load of wood in it. The temp gauge only goes to 500 degrees but some times if I am not careful and have to much wood going, the gauge spins WAY past 500.

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:51 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

hotchef wrote:
You are talking about smokers but I was wondering what kind of paint I should use on my grill? I just got a brand new Weber one touch Platinum and I looked the other day and there are two places that look like something hit it and chipped the paint off. I want to make sure it stays intact but I don't know what to use on it. Thanks.

Great grill! I have one too :D What you are seeing is not paint but carbon buildup. Just hose it out :wink: If you're not talking about the inside of your lid, and you have some kind of damage, Weber takes care of its customers second to none.

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:59 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

PaulP, Brinkmann and Charbroill both offer covers for their smokers. They just dont seem to last very long, are a little expensive and not always in stock.

I take a childs toy ball about 6 inches across, cut a hole in it large eniygh to fit over the stack then toss a small ripstop poly tarp over the whole thing. The tarps have plenty of grommets and I use short bungees to anchor it to the bottom of the cart.

You can buy 10 cheap tarps for the price of one smoker cover.

They come in camo too.

Rob

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:06 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I got my cover from BBQ Galore 2 years ago. Still looks great. They are advertised for $37 on their web site. My smoker is always outside only rust spots are by the hinges. Probably from smokin in the rain.

Eric

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:12 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:13 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Well I started to restore the inside which was in pretty bad shape. I scraped and brushed a lot of the rust off then coated the inside with peanut oil. next week I'll do the outside.

I forgot to take a picture of the inside lid for a "before" but it pretty much looked like my firebox lid now:

Chamber lid after cleaning:

Inside chamber before:

Inside chamber after:

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great Work.
Thats dedication to the sport!

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:09 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Andyc...nice job on the restoration. It looks as good as new.

Pete

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:01 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

AndyC if you do as great a job on the outside as you did on the inside you'll have a brand new smoker. I'm impressed! :D Your smoker is certainly going to last longer now.

Next

Return to General Discussion