Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion What woods do you recommend for smoking?

What woods do you recommend for smoking?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:19 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Z...

I'm becoming a big fan of mesquite wood also. I know it is a heavy smoke flavor, which is something my wife and I both like in food. I used mesquite chips for making a Beer Can chicken figuring it was worth a try. We were very pleased with the results. I know a lot of people prefer lighter wood flavor for chicken, but I think we're sticking with the mesquite for a while. :)

Pete

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:52 am
smoke rare
rare

unlike grilling, where you want a hot fire, with smoking too much heat is always a concern.

If you're using chunks, I don't think you are ever going to get what you are looking for. If you are using logs, Yes, you soak them in a big tub. Some add them two at a time and other's one. If the fire is too hot add two, and they work off each other. If the fire is a little low, add one to keep the heat up.

Mesquite burns hotter than hickory. So hickory is preferred. But if you can get a load of fruit wood, like apple, then you have a special situation.

If you're goyam and you smoke pork then hickory. For beef, I think you can do a little better with mesquite, provided you live in texas.

Here in the midwest it's generally considered bad luck to burn sasafrass indoors in a wood stove. So who knows what kind of trash wood we might be throwing on a fire?

No matter how much you soak it I don't think you can ever get beech to burn cool enough. So better to take your beech and try to make it into barrels and sell them to Budwieser so they can "Beechwood Age" their rice beer.

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:24 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Pete,
I think mesquite is a very well match with chicken, because it gives it a tangy flavor. If a person does not want a strong smoke flavor (as you and I like), then they can use less of it during smoking. I’ve used it with beef, pork, chicken, sausages and fish. I can’t really say that it did not go well with any of them.

Previous

Return to General Discussion