Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion log starters

log starters

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:23 am
Longmill well done
well done

Fire works!

I like the pix, BTW. Great shot!

How are you starting your fire? While I could easily be wrong, I suspect the method, since you mentioned 3 tries. I haven't used Kingsford "charwood", but have used several other types/brands of fuel. Haven't had any problems, since I switched from using newspaper to propane (turkey fryer or side burner) to fire up the chimney. Used to often take more than one try with newspaper.

The other thought that comes to mind is when using lump, put some smaller pieces in the bottom of the chimney first. Then, add larger pieces on top. The smaller pieces will ignite more easily and, in turn, light the larger ones.

Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:47 am
freefaller well done
well done

I've done it and have seen this method used on Americas Test Kitchen. Get a small bag of Matchlight. Put 4-6 pieces in the bottom of a chimney, then fill the rest of the way with your lump. One sheet of newspaper will light the Matchlight and those will get the rest of the charcoal going. By the time the lump is ready to use the Matchlight is completely gone and there is no need to worry about the gassy smell.
Last edited by freefaller on Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike J

Post Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:20 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Mike we were thinking along the same line. :D I was thinking about putting some of that easy lighting Royal Oak lump in the bottom of the starter and filling it with the Kingsford.

Monk that is a beautiful photo, probably the best starter still shot I've ever seen. 8) How long was the apeture open?

Return to General Discussion