Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Doing a rib roast on an offset barrel smoker

Doing a rib roast on an offset barrel smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
TahaddiAlBurhan

I would like to throw a neighborhood BBQ and do a whole boneless ribroast ( 10lbs approx.) on my smoker. After much trial/error and some out right BAD results I've become pretty comfortable with ribs, pork shoulder,briskets and chicken, on my smoker but the thought of ruining a whole rib roast in frount of 1/2 the neighborhood is turning ME chicken. So any advise? If I do it entirely on the smoker then at what temp. and for how long? Or should I give it a couple of hours on the smoker and then finish it off on my gas grill. It's an expensive piece of meat to blow :( but I think the blow to my ego would be worse. :oops: Thanks all.

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:03 pm
Zeke rare
rare

While I can't consider myself an expert on smoking, I do own an offset barrel smoker and have turned out some pretty good dishes.

The cuts of meat you speak of - briskets, pork shoulders, etc - are tougher cuts that are best cooked at slow temperatures for long periods of time...whch is what your smoker is best suited for.

With a rib roast, that's a mighty tender cut of meat, and I imagine it would be better suited to cooking at a higher heat for a shorter amout of time. If it was me, I'd be using my weber kettle set up for indirect grilling. You probably could smoke it, but I think you'd get the best results by roasting it.

Although I'm a complete loyalist to Steven's books, I have a great one to suggest. It's called "How to Cook Meat" by Chris Schlesinger. It's all about the different cuts of meat, and the best techniques for each of them.

If you do wind up smoking the roast, please post how it was. If it turns out good, I'd love to try it myself!

cheers.
zeke
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:20 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Make sure you start a hunk that big earlier than you think. It's a lot easier to hold it 'til dinner than it is to "hurry UP" and ruin it.

Low and slow ! Get it to 150 or so. Baste it reel good and wrap it tightly witha couple of layers of HD foil. Place it in a cooler preheated with a BIG pot of boiling water. Pack crumpled newpaper around it and it'll hold for 2 hours or so. The carry over heat will finish it and it would have needed to rest for 30 to 40 minutes anyway.

Meanwhile back at the reanch you've just freed up your smoker to either do another dish requiring shorter cooking time or use it to keep any other hot things hot. Works great as an added flavor element for baked beans or baked 'taters

You can always unwrap it and put it back in the pit before the guests arrive for the OOOH, AAAAH presentation!

Oh, I almost forgot we'll all need directions.

Rob

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:50 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I did a bone in rib roast a while back (see the details in the Holiday Feast thread) I had some problems that would be easilly avoidavle.
I agree with smokey bones I would go more indirect at the 300 degree range than low and slow. Tougher cuts of beef really benefit from the low and slow but this should be in no way tough so why cook it that way? I would use Steve's recipe in How to Grill as a basis for comparison.

Good Luck let us know how you make out or if we can offer any more advise.

Return to General Discussion