Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beer Can Chicken Advice

Beer Can Chicken Advice

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:58 pm
Aroberts rare
rare

Last week I made my first Beer Can Chicken and it was fantastic. A great recipe that I look forward to making often. I do have a couple of questions for you Beer Can Chicken experts though:

1- I use a 221/2 inch Weber Grill with hinged grates. When I procceeded to restock my coals with a new batch of charcoal, the ash from the charcoal in the chimney starter kicked up onto the chicken. Is this a common occurence when using hinged grates where you don't have to remove the food to add more coals? It was pretty messy. Any general tips on dealing with the messiness of charcoal?

2- Can you do two chickens at the same time on a 22 1/2 inch grill and still have it take the same amount of time and get the same (taste) results?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:21 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If I'm adding lit coals to a fire (I have the hinged grate also) I use tongs or welding gloves to add them. Keeps from stirring up the ash to a minimum.

2 birds will fit if they are not to large. I rotate them a couple of times to even out the heat exposure.

Seems to take a little longer to cook than 1 bird but there are too many variables to nail down an exact time difference.

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:33 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Aroberts welcome to the board.

I agree that you should find a gentler method for adding new charcoal. On my vertical smokers I use tongs.

I'll add a little to question #2 since I cook mine in a smoker. At 225 degrees, one 4lb chicken takes me four hours to reach 170 degrees. Four chicken took a little over six hours and five chickens took seven and a half hours. Adding meat mass adds to the cooking time but twice as much meat doesn't mean twice as long.

Return to General Discussion