Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion NEWBE Question: How hot is "high heat" versus &qu

NEWBE Question: How hot is "high heat" versus &qu

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Bob M.

OK... Here is a newbe question for you.....

This past weekend I got my first grill - Weber Genesis Gold B.

I bought Steve's book "How to Grill" yesterday and have been reading it as well as other BBQ books/info I have. Most steak recepies tell me to sear on "hi" heat then cook on "medium" heat...

Tried cooking my first steak on Saturday only to sit down to a meal of burnt meat.... Live and learn!

Here is my question...

How hot are "hi" and "medium" heat settings? "Hi" and "Medium" seem to be rather subjective, so I was wondering if there is a temperature setting I should be aiming for...

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:19 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I'm pretty sure this is addressed in How To Grill as well as BBQ USA and BBQ Bible.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:31 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

As Airfoils mentioned, you'll find some tips and tricks for figuring out the grill temp in How to Grill. Sounds like your grill may have been running hot, or you left the meat on a bit too long. Grill times are very much affected by the weather conditions. (For instance, with wind gusts of 50+ mph last night, I opted to cook inside!)

Don't give up, and be sure to read our Rare or Well-Done thread--according to that, someone out there would've enjoyed the burnt meat!

Info

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:31 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy Bob,

It's tough to say what may have went wrong with your cookout, more detail would help though. What was the desired doneness you were trying for?

What you said about searing on high and cooking on medium is correct. A lot of grilling instructor/chefs are using a counting method to determine the heat of a grill. Here's a link to a video where you can watch Steven grill steaks: http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/2 ... /tip19.wmv .

I hope this helps.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:39 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Airfoils is correct...the temperatures are listed in the "How To Grill" book on pg. 11.

Pete

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:26 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Bob, Welcome to the Board. Grilling is a lot of experimenting to see what works for you. I have had more than one burned steak or fish or chicken. On determining fire temperature and whats hot, medium and so forth. I use the guidelines that if you can hold your hand over the fire for five to six seconds it is a low heat fire, three to four seconds is a medium fire and one to two seconds is a nice hot fire. Always build your fire or turn on burners as the case may be so you have a cooler area to move your steak to. Mostly don’t give up.

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:31 pm

I generally agree with the advice that has been given, but there is one thing that hasn't been mentioned. A new grill always runs hot until you get a good coating of black stuff on the inside. Also, when griling steaks, leave the lid open. I personally never turn the grill down, I cook my steaks all the way on high. I like mine medium-rare, so a 1" - 11/2" steak gets about 4 minutes per side. My wife prefers medium, so hers gets about 6 minutes per side. These are rules of thumb only, and I use the poke method to determine when to pull them.

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:00 am
Bob M.

Thanks to everybody for your replies... Per some suggestions, I have took special note of page 11 of Steve's "How to Grill" book. This is exactally the info I was looking - can't believe I missed it.

For the record, I was attempting to cook my steaks at medium. They came out "well" done. My steaks were about 2" thick and fairly large in size....

Also agree with the theory that a new grill runs hot. I used it tonight (for the second time) and seemd to have a little easier time controlling my temperature. It seems the first time I used it, no mater what level my gas knobs were set to, my firebox temp was over 550 degrees.

I didn't scorch tonights dinner (burgers) and I thank everybody again for the prompt info. I will continue to read the book and will be a regular on this board trying to soak up additional info.

Return to General Discussion