Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion smoking a pork shoulder!

smoking a pork shoulder!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:56 pm
eurycea

What kind of ideas? Do you want to slice it, chop it, or pull it? I'd just slap a rub on it and smoke it at 225 until it gets to the doneness you want. I pull mine so I test doneness by sticking a fork in it and twisting. 2 hours per pound aprox how long it will take.

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:29 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Goodness, to many of us a pork butt (shoulder) is the greatest cut of meat, or one of the greatest. If you don’t have it, run out and buy Steven Raichlen’s book “How to Grill.” Follow the recipe for North Carolina pulled pork, and then invited us on the Board here to come and taste.

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:35 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Amen ThrRoff on shoulder being one of the favorites for smoking.
Smokey you might try this if you have the books: rub the shoulder liberally with kansas city sweet and smokey rub (sauces-n-marinades pg.24). Refrigerate overnight. Smoke at 215-220 until 195-198 internal temp is reached. baste every 45min-1 hour with pig pucker sauce(sauces-n-marinades pg 165) Take it off the smoker let it sit for about 10-15 min, slice, and serve with Skip's apple BB-Q sauce (BB-Q USA pg 673). Whip up some slaw and a few other sides, Your crowd will eat everything but the table. If you don't have Steve's books, do yourself a favor, get them. They the most complete, easy to read, comprehensive books on grilling/smoking out there. Hope this helps
Craig

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:45 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

I second the thought on the North Carolina pulled pork. Smoke till internal temp hits about 200 and it will pull easily. I have used this several times with groups and it has never disappointed anyone.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:52 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

smokey-bones as all have said, the pork shoulder is a choice cut of meat for smoking. Most have mentioned how to make pulled pork. Pulling a pork shoulder is traditionally how this cut of BBQ is served. However, if you want to slice your pork then you will not want to cook to these temperatures. 170-180 degrees will give you a tender hunk of sliceable meat. The bone-in pork shoulder does have the shoulder blade still in it which can make slicing a challenge. If you haven't tried pulled pork before, I highly recommend it!

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:11 am
Vinsect well done
well done

This is one of the next meats I want to try myself. Anyone brined a pork shoulder? Brining is supposed to be great for pork, poultry, and seafood right?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:42 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hadn't brined a shoulder before. Brining helps to plump and moisturize a lean cut of meat as well as add flavor. Some cuts of pork (like chops) and most poultry is very lean. Pork shoulder has enough fat cap and marbling to keep it moist and flavorful. It is so tender and juicy when finished, all that is needed is an hourly mopping to keep the outside surface moist over it's 12-14 hour journey. If you decide to brine let us know how it turns out.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:53 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Vinsect wrote:
This is one of the next meats I want to try myself. Anyone brined a pork shoulder? Brining is supposed to be great for pork, poultry, and seafood right?

Do it the traditional way, you'll be glad you did. Pork shoulder doesn't require brining or injecting or any other method to help it other than the aforementioned mopping. If anything I think you're more likely to ruin it and turn it into something more like a ham and that's not what you're after here. I think sometimes people go a bit crazy with injectors and brining and what not when they discover them much like a novice griller flips his steaks/burgers far too often. If you want to add flavor, the traditional way is to "sauce" the meat after it's been pulled or chopped which BTW is infinetly less work then brining or injecting it and the amount of flavor can be tailored by the individual eating it or you can sauce the whole batch. The most famous Carolina BBQ joint (Lexington, formerly HoneyMonk) uses 4 seasonings: hickory smoke, oak smoke, salt and pepper. It's famous for a reason and fooling with things extra just because you hve the toys or know how doesn't always mean better food :wink:

For me, I might brine some chops or a pork loin. Usually more often than not I'll marinate chops and brine a pork loin. Poultry almost always benefits but I can't see much benefit to brining seafood. If you want to try something really fabulous, get yourself some lamb and marinate it in a good yogurt based marinade.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:47 pm
Rick rare
rare

Here, Here--Do the pulled pork! I have done 100's of them. I have never had anyone say that it wasn't good. Steve's recipe for the North Carolina Pulled Pork works well.

Smokey Bones, I am sure you have a smoker, otherwise you wouldn't be asking about the pork shoulder. Your smoker was made to cook one of these gems up. It will hook you for life. It is easy and fun to do, and the reward of a great tasting smoked meat will please everyone who tries it.

Be sure to let the shoulder rest for 20-30 minutes when it is done. When you pull it, be careful, it will still be HOT inside, very hot. I like to use rubber gloves to pull the meat with. Trust me, you will not be able to pull the meat off of the roast without putting some in your mouth!!

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:10 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

For all you guys pulling pork check these out.

They do a really good job and you don'y fry your hands.

www.bbq-tools.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=51

www.barrbrothers.com/

They've got it all.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:15 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I think that I saw those on Kung-Fu Theater :lol:

They look like a handy tool to have around.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:06 pm
NC-Q'er

Airfoil knows his Q. I would also add that there is no need for rubs. A little salt and pepper is all thats needed.The purist flavor comes from the smoking and is enhanced by the addition of a eastern or western NC style vinager based finishing sauce. I use a weber kettle grill (I know, it is not a true smoker) and have made some great pulled pork.

Dont forget the slaw - a key ingredient to the pulled pork experience!

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:35 am
schaefsn rare
rare

Check out www.virtualweberbullet.com and look at the recipe for the renowned Mr. Brown. This is a recipe out of Smoke and Spice and can help you on your way to smoking a great Butt.

Return to General Discussion