Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Comparison Weber/Ducane/Charbroil/Jen-Air

Comparison Weber/Ducane/Charbroil/Jen-Air

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
brett

Im in the market to get a new propane grill from my local home depot/lowes type store and they seem to offer several different brands. Are there really any differences in these type of grills. I see a 'higher' end type charbroil that 53,000BTU while the comparable priced weber has 36,000BTU's I assume higher is better but what do you guys think. Im currently using an older charbroil $149 2 burner thing and wanted to upgrade to a larger 3 burner type grill. Any opinions would be great! Thanks all.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:29 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ask Vinsect for advise, eventhough any one of us can tell you what we like (in my case Weber and anything in stainless steel) he is the only one of us I know whos job it is to see these things. He's a Home Depot Grill Guru in Atlanta. Look for his guidance and the rest of us will pipe in too.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:30 pm
GBitto rare
rare

I picked up the CharBroil Commercial series 3-burner from Lowes in December for $419 - now they're on closeout sale $70 cheaper !?!?!? I like it. This years model appears to be a 4-burner and a few $'s more. Comparably priced Webers are good values, but I liked the porcelain clad burners and cooking grates. The Weber (in same price range) are thinner porcelain steel from what I can tell. Anyway - I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers. Mostly comes down to what you want. For me, cast iron was the thing.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:02 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I picked up a CharBroil this last summer at home Depot (near Atlanta, GA) for under $200. It had three burners in the base, a Rotisserie burner, a full size electrical Rotisserie, and it even had cast iron grates. I absolutely love it.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:20 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Having recently gone through a complete re-build of our Kenmore Elite which is sold by Sears but made by a company named Grand Hall. Parts availability was a real pain!! So I would place the ease of obtaining replacement parts a major part of any grill purchase. I don't care how heavy duty a part is. When you place metal into a wet, oily, salty enviroment and then heat it up to 600 degreesor more it gonna start to get eaten.

Charbroil and the others seem to change models drastically every year or two. If I had it to do again I would get a higher end Weber. You can practically get parts at the drug store!!

Sears couldn't get some of the parts for almost 2 months, yet when I walked into even the smallest Sears the corresponding parts for the Weber's were sitting on the shelf!,

As far as the btu ratings, many grills don't deliver it all to the cooking zone. It seems to me that the Weber may ONLY be rated at 36K btu but it puts it where it is needed. My Kenmore has six burners with total btu of 60K. When it's on full bore it just chew through the gas. Fortunately, with that many burners you can set up many different heat zones at the same time. You don't have to rock the neighborhood just to cook a couple of steaks.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:52 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

YardBurner wrote:
You don't have to rock the neighborhood just to cook a couple of steaks.

You don't have to but it sure is fun!

Great advise on the parts Yard. That's very true. Prior to my Weber I was in the same boat, for me rebuilding the grill was almost an annual tradition. Not they last longer and are easier to get.

Good Call.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:46 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I'm not a gas guy (nor will I ever be, who wants to be known as a 'gas guy' lol) but if I ever were to buy a gas grill it would be a Weber for all of the reasons already metnioned, plaus they have great custoemr service.

Return to General Discussion