Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled sushi rice

Grilled sushi rice

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:03 pm
spfranz well done
well done

There was a post under a different thread about grilling rice that got me to thinking about this recipe and I thought I'd share. It's a variation of a recipe in Ming Tsai's Blue Ginger cookbook. If you really want to impress the guests, this will do it.

1. Make some sushi rice. You have to use Japanese short grain rice for this. Anything else won't hold together. Make at least 2 cups of rice and then add the sushi vinegar (I just buy mine pre-made but you can make your own as well) to make the sushi rice.

2. Make a sauce of 1 cup soy sauce, juice and zest of 2 oranges, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon of finely chopped ginger.

3. Wet your hands well and form the rice into balls about 2-3 inch balls. Flatten them a little bit.

4. Toss the rice balls on the grill (direct medium to medium high heat) and grill until browned (about 3 minutes). Brush the top with the sauce and turn to grill the other side. Brush again with the sauce and then sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

I can't tell you how good this stuff is.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:12 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Scott,
That’s very interesting. I’ve done rice on the grill but it was wrapped in grape or banana leaves. I’ve never seen it cooked directly on the grill. I’m going to have to try it soon. Nice looking grill by the way.

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:10 am
spfranz well done
well done

Thanks BBcue-Z. That would be the Kamado #7 - all black stainless steel bands :)
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:15 am
Airfoils well done
well done

That looks great Scott! Thanks for sharing!

Return to General Discussion