Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pulled Pork

Pulled Pork

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:21 pm
WeberBoy rare
rare

check this link:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

That site is a great resource for all your somking needs.

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:09 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Blackdog870,
Welcome to the board. There are several postings that may answer your questions here. I suggest trying the search function on this site for information about pulled pork. There have been several postings and replys that may be helpful to you. There is also a link for pork at www.otherwhitemeat.com/

In addition Steven Raichlen has a good description on how to make pulled pork on Pg.106 in his "How To Grill" book including descriptive pictures. His book "BBQ USA" also contains quite a bit of info beginning on Pg. 234.

I hope this is helpful to you, explore the site, and enjoy. Good Luck :)
Pete

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:36 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Just get out the credit card, make the purchase and start your journey to BBQ goodness: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 56-4440115

Get the hardcover, the softcover falls apart.

8)

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:53 pm
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Welcome aboard!! Steven's books are all awesome. Great reference material, as well as encouraging one to experiment.
The way I cook Boston Butt on a kettle is pretty simple. Rub the Butts with a good homemade rub, (that didn't come out right did it?) Anyway, wrap them up and ref. overnight. The next day, put in the side baskets or grates if you have them, Light the charcoal chimney (full). When the fire is right, dump it 50-50 on each side. Throw a big handful of soaked hickory chips on each side, put on the butts' ( a 22.5 kettle will hold two in the middle), and set the drafts to get a temp of about 250 degrees. Lower than this is sometimes hard on a kettle. Every hour or so, mop the butts with a baste of vinegar onion bourbon or your preference. And after 1.5 hours, start afew more coals in the chimney to keep the fire banked. When you baste, add wood chips. The whole deal usually takes about 5 hrs, depending upon the size of the cut, and the outside temp & wind. I like about 190-195 internal temp. Let it sit, shred it up to a good consistency, grab a cold one, let the good times roll.
I personally like to smoke with green wood, but thats usually on large pit, and is more involved, not to mention having to play Paul Bunyan to get my own wood.
Most of the rubs and sauces I use are variations of the ones in Steven's books.
Always remember two things with pork, 1). Slow
2). Low
Hope that this helps, Craig

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:03 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

To brine or not to brine that is the question?
I firmly believe that pork have to be brined, especially thick cuts such a Boston butt or fresh ham. Brining just adds another dimension of flavor to pork. Some may say, brining dries out the meat. This is not true when using a cut such as Boston Butt. Why? Well because it has so much fat that keep it very well basted.
To prove that brining helps in improving the flavor, I once preformed the following experiment: I used Allspice in the brine to see how far the flavor will go. You may ask why Allspice? Because allspice has a very distinguished and strong flavor.
Ingredients used:
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 ½ cups of coarse salt
2 quarts water
7 to 8 pound Boston butt (pork shoulder)
4 tbs of ground Allspice
I soaked the pork over night in the brine and slow smoked it (at 225 dg) the next day until internal temp was 197 F.
I pulled the pork in sections to test my theory. I tasted each layer (about ½ inch sections) to find out how far the allspice had gone through. I truly was able to taste the spice to almost 80% deep into the meat.
In conclusion, I truly believe that brining does help in carrying the rub flavor (no matter what type you use) deep into the meat. Whether you agree with this experiment or not, please give it a try before you judge it. By the way, the meat was not dry at all.

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:21 pm
Rick rare
rare

Use your brinkman first of all--It is easier to go low and slow with.

I rub the butt with 2 tbs of paprika, 2 tbs granulated garlic, 2 tbs ginger powder, 2 tbs brown sugar, 1tbs ground mustard, sea salt and pepper to taste.

Wrap the butt in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Heat smoker to 225 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.

Soak applewood chips for at least an hour--applewood gives pork the best flavor.

while cooking the butt I mist it every 30-40 minutes with 2/3 apple cider and 2/3 apple cider vinegar.

The butt is done when the internal temp is 190 degrees.

Take it out of the smoker and let it rest on the cutting board with foil wrapped loosely, for 20-30 minutes.

Then you pull it. Careful, it will be hot has heck. I use some heat resistant rubber gloves to pull with.

You can't miss!

Rick

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:56 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

No man, you don't brine Caroina Q! Sacrilege! In addition to the excellent advice on the kettle, put a drip pan underneath and fill it half way with water. But I agree, use the smoker.
Last edited by Airfoils on Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:59 pm
spfranz well done
well done

BBcue-Z, I think that's the first time I've ever heard of anyone brining a pork butt. I won't knock it, havent' ever tried it. But, for our tastes, a simple rub is the best as it's the flavor of the pork and smoke combination I'm looking for. There's so much fat in a pork butt that dry meat is never a problem.

Just my two cents.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:07 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I'm not against trying new things but man, you're messin with Carolina Q! I concur with Scott, I get loads of flavor doing it the tried and true time honored way; the meat itself is the thing and when its pulled or chopped, the Mr. Brown mixed in is heaven without any help.

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:52 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

With all respect to smoking pork butt the traditional way, I just like to do thing differently every now and then. I wanted to flavor the pork all the way through (this my own preference), so I thought a little bet of food science wouldn’t do any harm. I was amazed with the results and how much flavor I got out of it.

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:18 am
Airfoils well done
well done

BBcue-Z wrote:
With all respect to smoking pork butt the traditional way, I just like to do thing differently every now and then. I wanted to flavor the pork all the way through (this my own preference), so I thought a little bet of food science wouldn’t do any harm. I was amazed with the results and how much flavor I got out of it.

Most people that desire more flavor just use sauce. The meat is exposed after smoking anyway (pulled, chopped or sliced mostly). Why don't you try coming up with a sauce you like instead of making yourself all of that extra work?

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:44 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Somehow I missed all this good conversation yesterday.

Welcome to the board Blackdog! There’s a lot of good information covered here, some traditional and some innovative. I would also choose your Pitmaster for cooking a Boston Butt. It can be done on you Weber but I think you’ll have better results on a smoker. Though apple wood is by far the choice of most for flavoring pork, oak will also do well. I have oak, mesquite, pecan, and hickory to choose from, as I haven’t found a local supply for fruit woods yet. So I have used hickory and pecan in the past with good results. Give us a follow-up report and let us know how it goes. If you have trouble we’ll try to help out. We often refer to Steven’s recipes by book & page, if you don’t already own one, take a look at ‘How to Grill’ the next time you’re near a book stand. It’s truly a “must have”! As you are new to the board, might I suggest that you review the discussion threads about keeping a BBQ Log? The log will help you avoid mistakes down the road and repeat successes. Also take photos for posting on the Internet if possible. We all enjoy sharing the obsession.

BBcue-Z, I’ve never brined a butt before, but your solution is similar to brine that I’ve used on thick cut pork chops and they were very good. We had Coke Can Chicken this weekend and for the first time I DIDN’T brine it. There were subtle yet noticeable differences in the taste and texture of the meat. I like it better brined and my wife prefers it without the brine.

Like we’ve said in other recent discussions, if you’re paying for the meal, and especially if you’re cooking it, you should eat what you like.

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:20 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

There are several factors that can affect times. Outdoor temps, cooker temps, meat mass, how often the smoker door/lid is opened and how long, humidity, etc. No matter how good you are the times will fluctuate from one smoking to the next. I highly recommend a remote temperature probe when smoking. You insert the probe into the thickest part of the meat without touching a bone and leave it for the duration. It has a metal braided lead on it about a meter long that plugs into a base thermometer with liquid crystal readout. This will allow you to monitor the exact internal temperature of the meat so that you know when it’s done without over/under cooking it. It takes the guesswork out of smoking. After a little practice you can even predict when the meat will be done by watching the temperature rise.

I have a Taylor thermometer that I picked up from Target: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr ... B00004XSC5. Polder also makes a good remote unit. You can spend less that $20 or as much as $80 or more for different ones. Some had wireless remote units that you can monitor from 100 feet away. My $14 remote thermometer works quite well and I wouldn’t want to go back to guessing.

Another option is the instant read thermometer. They work as well in reading the internal temperature, but with a few drawbacks. You have to open the smoker/grill, and you have to poke a hole in your meat which will allow juices to escape. This type of thermometer can be used on a hot grill whereas a remote should not.

Hope this helps.

Next

Return to General Discussion