Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion location of heat indicator

location of heat indicator

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:20 am
MReynolds well done
well done

For more accurate cooking temps, you will want to place the new thermometer at the cooking surface level.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:31 pm
Rick rare
rare

At the cooking level and at the end where your food is going to be cooked. This is a general idea of the cooking chamber temp anyway. Always remember to back it up with an instant read thermometer in the food when it is getting close to being done.

Rick

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:08 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask? I've noticed that the Weber charcoal grills don't come with thermometers in the lids. Do you guys recomend installing one (and if so where) or would a polder style thermometer with probes be better?

Incidentally, I don't actually have a Weber yet but I sell them.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:20 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I found that the Polder with dual thermometer works better than any thing. The probe is divided into two parts, one for the meat and one for the grill temp. A convenient display can be place anywhere around the grill. If you’re cooking small cuts of meat and can’t insert the probe in the meat, just use half a potato or an onion (for stability). Most of the time, I get pretty accurate reading with this type of thermometers. You can also use an oven thermometer, but you’ll have to open the lid every time you need to check the temp.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:37 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Smokey – good move on purchasing a quality temperature gauge. I had a smoker with the warm, ideal, hot gauge on it and it was impossible to tell what was going on inside it. My smokers now have two good gauges on each. As mentioned you want your gauge near the food as temps can vary in different areas inside the smoker. That way you can better judge how the food is cooking.

Vinsect - You'll want to check with Polder or the manufacturer of whatever remote probe thermometer you have prior to using it in a grill. I contacted the folks a Polder last year about reviews from owners of the thermometer complaining about failure of the unit after one or two uses. The representative at Polder stated that their probe leads are damaged by temperatures higher that 400 degrees. That they were intended for use in a kitchen oven but also work well in a smoker. And that the thermometer was not designed for the high heat of a grill.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:43 am
chagan well done
well done

I have heard about the Polder and people seem to like them. I have the temp detective:

http://www.barbecue-store.com/nu-701simplewireless.htm

I really like it- it is a bit expensive but when I'm not grillin', I leave the remote sensor outside, this way when my wife asks me if it is cold/ hot outside (as occurs sometimes more frequently than desired) I can direct her to look at the display panel in the kitchen on the window sill.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:48 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Chris do you use your Polder while direct grilling or do you use it indirect-only? If direct, how's it holding up?

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:37 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've also had problems with Polder and other brands with probe failure.

Polder will sell a new probe for $10 but I can buy a whole new unit for $20 or less.

Seen 'em as low as $16 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. (with coupon)

Has anyone come across a higher temp unit.

I'd be willing to spend $50 bucks if I could count on it.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:17 pm
chagan well done
well done

No Bob, I don't use it for direct grilling (temp detective, not Polder), on the link I posted it states that the probe can handle temps up to 500- that may be too low for direct grilling. Plus if I am direct grilling the probe would get in the way of turning, I use an instant read thermometer, the touch method, or a poultry or steak button for direct grilling.

http://www.barbecue-store.com/steakbutton.htm

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:39 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

chagan wrote:
I use an instant read thermometer, the touch method, or a poultry or steak button for direct grilling.

Hey I agree with that. I have a variety of thermometers now and I use the instant read or poke test on the grill.

Those steak buttons look handy...do you leave them in while cooking or insert & remove like an instant read?

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:47 pm
chagan well done
well done

When I think that I'm getting close and won't be flipping anymore, I'll just leave it in. They're a handy item and cheap. I usually use the poultry button to make sure I'm getting up to about 170 for safety reasons. I only use the steak button for the wife because all heck will break loose if there is any red left in her portion :evil: This reminds me of a new thread....

Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:14 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey smokey-bones thaks for the followup. It's good to hear that everything worked out well. As recommended in other posts; keep a log, take pictures, and post results. We enjoy sharing our obsession!

Return to General Discussion