Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion idea's on whole chicken!

idea's on whole chicken!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:29 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

You might want to check all the posts under “First time making Beer can chicken“, there are many good ideas.

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:26 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BRINE IT!!! 1/2 cup kosher salt to 1 quart of water. Put bird in large pot pour saltwater mixtue over and let sit for a couple of hours or overnight.

Drain, rinse, pat dry and season as you like.

Almost no comparison. Almost impossible to dry out.

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:36 pm
Rick rare
rare

Rub the bird down with butter, then take fresh rosemary and thyme, I mean fresh picked from your plants in the garden, take a couple of sprigs and place them under the skin and inside the cavity, then put the bird in an aluminum pan and fill it half full of 50/50 mix of chicken broth and white wine, then cook it to temp--170--you will have no problem with finding flavor, and it is very moist!

Rick

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:41 pm
Hairbear

I have done the brining trick and it does add more flavor. Also, the day before I grill my chicken (bear can al carte) I will rub the chicken inside and out with my favorite chicken rub and wrap it tight in cling wrap and grill it the next day.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:41 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

You can also try one of the many injectable marinades...............these bring flavor throughout the entire chicken.
Another is to use the dry wishbone ranch seasoning mix as a rub.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:14 pm
chagan well done
well done

I have to concur with 2beast- in order to get deep down flavor, inject it. There are many flavors to choose from, and the flavor will go all the way to the bone. Also have to try that wishbone ranch seasoning rub- thanks for the great ideas 2beast!

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:32 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

One of my favorite ways to do a whole chicken in on a rotisserie over the grill with a tumeric rub. Here is a link to the rub. http://www.roffee.org/larryRubs.htm

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:44 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Larry,
Thanks for the link..the rubs listed look pretty good. Definitely worth trying.

Pete

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:45 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I agree with either a brine or an injection. For injection I like a garlic herb, usually store bought. For the brine this is the favorite in my house. It's ala Emeril (sorry Steve).
Brine:
1 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped yellow onions
2 oranges, halved
2 jalapenos, minced (with their seeds)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:32 am
chagan well done
well done

That sounds like a winner GS! I'm sure for the moisture factor water and salt will do, but this sounds like it'll really kick it up. Time to cut and paste for I will definately do this on the next OSR (oven stuffer roaster). Cheers.
Do you do this overnight GS?

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:45 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The first time I used this brine I did turkey breasts and they were great (after about 24 hours) using the same batch of brine (It just seemed like a waste to dump it right away) I brined 2 trays of chicken pieces for about 3 days, which was more than I planed but kept getting pushed back. They were great!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:23 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Hey guys don’t forget the soy sauce. It’s a perfect brine. After all, what is a brine? It’s a salty solution. Soy sauce is nothing but a salty solution. Except with soy sauce you get that extra depth of flavor. I like to use it to brine fish and poultry. Just add your favorite spices and other flavor (lemon or orange), and you’ll have a perfect brine solution. If it’s too salty for you, just cut it down with some water.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:45 am
MaxDog rare
rare

I heartily agree with brining and rotissing any bird. For extra flavor, make fresh herb paste and spread it under the skin of said bird. Steve talks about it in HTG with the rotisserie game hen recipe.
How lovely it is to do nothing and then rest afterwards

Return to General Discussion