Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion recipes for boston butt, shredded pork for burritos

recipes for boston butt, shredded pork for burritos

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

I have already made some relativity good bbq pork for sandwiches using a butt ,now i would like to make some to be used in burritos or tocos, ya know like they use in mexican resturants. Would i just use a sothwestern rub and cook low-slow, mabey with some misquite smoke. Anybody cooked a butt like this befor. Thanks for the input

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:07 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A local Mexican place takes, and I kid you not.

1 bone in butt (makes it easier to pull if you have a handle)
Lightly slash all over 1/4" or so
Rub w/olive oil and sprinkle with Costco, Sam's or BJ's bulk taco seasoning. (this is the kid you not part. Nothing exotic at all)

Slow roast/smoke roast whatever. A heavy smoke flavor is not needed.
Mesquite will easily overpower any other flavors in a burrito.

I start with lump add mesquite chunks for the first 45 to 60 minutes and replenish with just lump until the meat is done.

Try putting a couple of whole unpeeled white onions and a couple of heads of de-papered garlic (just rub off the loose skins to expose each cloves individual segment) an hour and a half or so before you expect the pork to be done. You can always leave them in the cooker if they are not quite soft while you let the meat rest and are pulling it.

A half hour before it's done I throw a oiled and seasoned red and green bell pepper in close to the heat to char a little.

If you are adding refried beans to your burrito heat them in the smoker towards the latter half of the cooking time stirring every now and then until heated. It's amazing how much flavor the beans will pick up.

Take the roasted garlic squeeze it out of the skin and smear it on the tortilla and sprinkle with finely chopped cilantro. Hack up the onions and the peppers into a pretty fine mince, mix in with beans throw on some pork, roll up and lick your fingers clean.

Open a couple of Tecate's (I use a 1/2 Liter mug) and lick your fingers clean.

DARN IT! Now I'm droolin’ again!

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:19 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Cook it the traditional way; a southwestern rub will defiantly enhance the flavor. But any rub with cumin and chili will work. I prefer ground Ancho chili (it gives it more authentic taste).
Once it’s done and shreded, that’s when you will flavor it. This is what I use:

6-8 dry whole Ancho chili peppers
1 tsp cumin
¼ cup of limejuice
¼ cup cider vinegar
½ cup chopped cilantro (fresh)
1 small can of Chipotle (smoked Jalapeno peppers)- this is optional, chipotle peppers are usually spicy hot. Adjust based on your preference.
3 cloves of garlic-minced
½ red onion- minced
½ cup bell pepper or peblano pepper- chopped
¼ tsp brown sugar
3 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.
Seed and stem the chili peppers and soak them in warm water overnight. Drain the peppers and place them in a stockpot. Cover the peppers with water and bring to slow simmer until soft. Drain the peppers and place them in a blender or food processor with the vinegar, lime juice, cumin, cilantro, chipotle(if using), and brown sugar. Process the mixture until smooth. If you like smoother sauce, you can strain it. If you prefer the sauce a little thinner, add some of the water you used to boil the peppers.
In a saucepan, place the olive oil and sauté the onions, bell peppers, and garlic until soft. Add the pepper mixture and stir until warm. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Once the pork is ready and pulled, pour the chili mixture on it and keep it warm. Allow time for the pork to absorb the flavor from the sauce.
You can also place the pork (prior to shredding) in a foil pan and pour the chili mixture over it. Cover the pan and return the pork to the smoker, and let it brew in the sauce for about an hour. This option will give you a stronger flavor and makes the pork easy to shred. Return the meat to the sauce after shredding.
I hope this help.

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:26 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

OK! I take it all back!! BBZ I'll be doing your version as soon as the grill freakin' unfreezes from the cover.

One cover can't stand the heat and another cover cracks 3 days after you buy it if the temp. drops below 30.

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:25 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Add a chili grill full of poppers and you're all set!!

Man that sounds good guys, I'll be trying that soon!

Yard - I've had the same problems for year, I went to a local tent and awning place and had them make me a custom cover out of a rubberized canvas. Aside from blowing off occasionally (my own fault because I don't use the eye holes I had put in it to tie it down) but as long as I let the grill cool a bit first the sucker has taken heat, snow, and now ice in stride. It cost more but the replacement cost will make up for it through its longeviety. I hope.

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:15 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I hope ya'll don't mind, but I just had to add a couple more recipes to my collection. Thanks!

Return to General Discussion