Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Gas Grill Smoking

Gas Grill Smoking

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:39 pm
Gasman raw
raw

Tried a new smoking method in my gas grill and want to share. I am new to the board but am stoked to be here!

I am never too happy with the amount or duration of smoke generated when I use my cast iron box or foil pack to create smoke. Friday night I tried something new:

I put three Match Light briquettes in a cast iron smoker. I lit them and let them get gray and glowing. I then put my soaked chips on the coals. It billowed intensely and lasted much longer than the cooking time!

I would love to hear from my fellow gas users out there and see if they like the idea. I think it has really expanded my capability. Have fun,

Gasman
San Jose, CA

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:46 pm

Welcome to the board, I'm new here too! That is a great idea! I am a former gas griller but I'm strictly Charcoal now. Anyway, I used to have that same problem. I used to use the smoker box, but then also wrap up wood chips in foil, poke holes in the top of the foil and put them over the flame. That worked really well, and it was easy to add more chips, I would just put another foil packet on the grill and move the old one over to the side. Your idea is a good one though, I wish I would have thought of that when I used gas.
"I'm just another, Beer Drinking, Good Time Having, Regular Guy" - Quote from my apron

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:22 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Gasman..Welcome to the board. I use the foil pouch method that Steven talks about. I normally get pretty good smoke for about an hour. Your idea is a good one and worth giving a try...after all this snow/ice goes away. Looking forward to your input on the board.

Pete

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:13 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

A big Howdy from Texas Gasman, I hope your name is grill related :D

I have both gas and charcoal smokers and I've had the same disappointments with the smoker box in my gas unit. I will definitely give this a try.

Hope you hang around! This is a great idea.

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:32 pm
Gasman raw
raw

Right on all...

Thanks for the welcome - very appreciated...

I'll be coming around now and then so hope you don't mind. Grilling, brewing (pretty new to that one) and fishing are my main hobbies and it's great to have a place to talk up the Q

Until next time...

Gasman

ps. Might as well ask a question while I am here. I made Steven's Korean rib eye last week. It tasted incredible. However, when I sliced the rib eye in two, it came apart a bit (once grilled no one complained), especially where the ribbon of fat runs through the top. Anyone have an idea on how to minimize this, other than having the butcher hit it with the bandsaw?

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:12 pm
GBitto rare
rare

Gasman - sounds like a great idea - wonder how small hardwood lump charcoal in that smoker box would work (might not be worth the trouble). I'll be trying your method when weather permits!

Return to General Discussion