Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ University

BBQ University

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:18 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Has anyone actually been to BBQ U?

Can you share the experience with us?

I've been fortunate enough to have been to the Greenbriar (unfortunately before BBQ U existed) and the place is absolutely wonderful. If you love golf, fly fishing, hiking, horse back riding, sporting clays, or just generally being pampered this is the place.

I'm thinking BBQ U may be a good excuse to return!

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:16 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow I'd have thought that that somebody would have replied with experience to this by now.

Maybe Steve should offer a trip as a prize on the board, instead of a grill like he has in the past.

At the very least he should send our esteemed "Deputies" there for a reduced rate, or better yet Free! (You're welcome guys, I tried! :wink: )

Then they can report back to the rest of us!!

If those guys promote it how can you go wrong?

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:05 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

You go Grand! Go big!!! :D

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:17 am
chagan well done
well done

I like that idea GS- I would love to go, but it is a bit to pricey for me right now- maybe one of these years after we get the taxes back my wife will let me splurge. If I hit the lotto though, I'm going and taking you all with me. Imagine that get together :lol: , I think Steven would quit the biz after that weekend.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:20 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Now that sounds like a party!!
Can you imagine a BBQ Board Picnic. What a blast! The only problem is who does the cooking?

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:22 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

What's on the menu? Can you imagine a progressive BBQ feast?

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:09 pm
Rick rare
rare

I just registered on this site. I can't believe that someone who has been to Steven's BBQ U. would not have replied by now.

I have been to BBQ U. BBQ Bootcamp to be more exact. My wife gave the trip to me as a present for my birthday a year and a half ago. The Greenbrier was great. My wife enjoyed it while I was at Bootcamp. The Bootcap I was in ended up being filmed and you can now see it occasionally on the Food Network. Steven was a wealth of knowledge. If you can afford to go, it is worth it. You will come away with lots of new ideas, techniques, and a belly full of great food!

Rick

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:22 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Rick - GREAT TIMING! And welcome aboard!

Please share more about your trip. I for one would love to hear more details!

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:58 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Welcome Rick,
Sounds like you are very lucky to have been to BBQ. Look forward to hearing what it was like.

Pete

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:05 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey Rick, gald you found us. Do tell us all about boot camp!

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:07 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale,
I knew if anyone could start a good topic it would be you. I was also surprised that no one responded that had been there, until Rick. Looking forward to him sharing his experience there with us. Great thread. :)

Pete

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:04 am
dkirn well done
well done

Grand Scale - Thanks for the idea of the free trip to BBQ , but I really like the idea of a BBQ Board Field Trip!

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:41 pm
Rick rare
rare

Hey all, great to hear there is so much interest in my experience at the bootcamp. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to all of you. It has been a busy week.

Anyway, we live in Oregon. We flew in to Roanoke Virginia and spent the night. We had a rental car from the airport. Drove to teh Greenbrier the next morning. Along the way we saw several homes with smoke houses in the backyard! It was great! You don't see that kind of thing in Oregon, unless you happen to be going by my place!!!! We were greeted at the frontdoor by a gentleman that has been working at the Greenbrier for about 45 years. We were treated well there. A beautiful place to stay for a week, and great food at the resort. Lot's of things to do for the family,if they aren't attending the bootcamp.

The way the things went down at the bootcamp was, you arrive at Kate's Mountain on a bus ride from the main resort, Steven is there to great you as you come in, and you get a few minutes to chat with everyone. We had around 24 people in our group. Steven blows a whistle and calls everyone to attention (kind of like bootcamp!) and the day begins. He let's you know what is going to be on the menu for the day, and begins the demonstration. The classroom is in a cabinlike structure, very large with fireplaces and plenty of room for everyone. One by one through the days of bbqing, Steven will ask each of you to come up and help him with the fun. As each dish is prepared it is plated and put on a table in front of the class for everyone to drool over. At the end of the demonstration, around 1200 or so, everyone gathers around to take pictures of the mornings accomplishments. THEN---

While we were learning Steven's techniques, there were cooks from the Greenbrier behind the scenes making exactly the same dishes, enough for everyone. So, you get to sit down and eat!!! Steven usually jumps around from table to table and talks with everyone while they eat. It's great!!

During the class, Steven also will demonstrate different styles of BBQ's. From charcoal to gas, from traditional to non-traditional, from grills to smokers. He tries to cover all of it. During our class Steven wanted to know how many bbq's everyone had, so he started asking people to raise their hands and he counted out 1 then 2 then 3... and as he got up to 3 or 4 everyones hand dropped but mine, I thought, I'm not trying to brag here and I don't want to look bad, but finally I dropped my hand at 8, Steven smiled at me and said well I have 35!!!

While we were at the bootcamp, the Food Network was there filming our class. It aired alst summer, and is now rerunning this last couple of weeks! As we graduated the class, steven presented us with camouflage aprons and we all had our pictures taken. It was great!!! I already said that didn't I?

There you go, just a quick glance at the fun that Steven shows you while learning his techniques and recipes.

Rick

Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:26 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Rick,

Thanks for that report! It almost sounds like you had a great time. I'm sure I can speak for the group and say that we all wish we could attend as well and are a little olive-green with envy! :D

Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:28 am
Ralph rare
rare

Thanks for the rundown, Rick! What's ironic is that it's a BBQ class at a rather formal-sounding resort!

I'll be going to BBQ U in June, and am looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe! Rick, what other activities are there for spouses? My wife is going with me, but not going through the class. Do spouses and/or families get to partake of any of the food, too, or just the attendees?

For those of you looking to go, the bad news is that it appears the sessions are all sold out for this year. :(

Next

Return to General Discussion