Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beer Can Chicken question

Beer Can Chicken question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:28 pm
Hawk rare
rare

I have a Weber kettle grill the 22 1/2 in. I have been wanting to make beer can chicken, however every time I put the lid on the grill my coals turn off. I have the vents open. Is this because I need to change the type of charcoal I am using. I use the regular charcoal briquettes that need lighter fluid to get going.

I was wondering if I switch to the wooden coals if it would make a difference. :cry:

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:42 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hawk, I have a Patio Classic grill but the principle is the same. The grill has a top vent and a bottom vent if one or both are closed it will cut off the air flow and put out the coals. You stated that you have the vents open so I’m not sure if there is another difference in our grills that would cause the coals to go out when the lid is on. I am able to cook directly and indirectly with the lid closed on my grill without this problem. There are several Weber owners on the board that should be able to help you with this issue. It may help to mention what model you have; One Touch Silver, Gold, Platinum; Performer, etc… I hope someone will be able to kick in some more advice than this! :?

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:40 pm
chagan well done
well done

I have a Weber 22.5 Platinum and don't have this issue. There can only be one reason for this- not enough air flow. As long as you get the coals lit and burned down properly they should not go out when the lid is put on if both vents are open. My grill has an ash pan under the bottom vents, I don't know if you do or not. If this is full, it will block all air from entering through the bottom of the grill.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:48 pm
TOMP rare
rare

Haek, I too own the 22-1/2 Weber. I cook beer can chicken often and never have this problem using both type of fuel.

1) Are your bottom vents open?

2) since there is little head room for the chicken, make sure the chicken is centered and not to one side where the cover might rest on it, w/ the chicken blocking the vent holes.

3) I use 2 piles of charcoal, one on each side , again w/ the chicken centered.

Hope these help!

Tom

Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:00 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I personally do not own this style of grill, however since you stated that this only happens when you are trying to do a beer can chicken I would guess that you might have a large chicken that is too big and the vents are being covered by the large chicken.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:37 pm
Hawk rare
rare

Thanks for the replies, I too have the Platinum with the ash pan on the bottom. I have not tried again lately but I am going to change coals first, I feel that might help or I am not using enough. I had around 22 briquettes per side.

Back to the drawing board :D

Return to General Discussion