Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBq ribs

BBq ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:08 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Didn't realize you were cooking pre-sliced ribs. I think everyone here qwould tell you that's a no-no. Always cook the slab in one hunk, and carve before serving.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:44 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

farmgirl,

If you get the chance, check out Steven cooking ribs at the following link:

http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/2 ... /tip13.wmv

Hope this helps!

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:13 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I didn't realize the ribs were cut apart either. That's the problem....Keep in in a slab.

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:05 am
hickory pete well done
well done

PaulP,

That sure was a good observation. Like some of the others, I didn't noticed that the ribs were cut apart before being cooked.

Pete

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:07 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I usually smoke ribs at 225 degree for 4 to 5 hrs. But there is a very important step that you can't skip during the last hour; you must wrap them in foil. Try the foil method it makes a great difference.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:02 pm
spfranz well done
well done

There are some purists out there who really have a problem with the foil technique. However, my family really likes their ribs done well so they are tender and pull off the bone cleanly. I've found foil the best way to achieve this kind of rib.

Personally, I go 3 hours in the smoker, then about 1 1/2 hours in foil, then go back to unwrapped until their done. At the very end, I crank the heat way up, and toss them directly over high heat to add a nice bark to the outside.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:38 am
Rick rare
rare

I don't even feel I should comment after reading how many ribs Dkirn barbecues.

Dkirn--what is it you do anyway? You must be some famous BBQer!!

--The only thing I can possibly add is--I smoke on a small scale compared to Dkirn, and I am sure I get a different quality of meat, although I buy directly from a butcher, and not from a supermarket, but if I am going to be smoking baby backs:

--pull the membrane off the back
--dry rub the ribs with home made rub, not store bought
--after I rub them I wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in the refridgerator overnight
--in the morning I let them sit at room temp while I start the fire in the smoker
--low and slow (200 to 225)
--mist with apple cider and cider vinegar every 30 minutes or so
--use wet applewood for the smoke
--after 2 to 2 1/2 hours I pull the ribs and wrap in foil and put them back in the smoker
--lower the heat to 160-170, and let them sit for an hour

I have n't had a bad batch of ribs yet.

Rick

Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:01 am

farmgirl wrote:
My ribs turned out better this time it still wasn't fall off the bone, but better. I put a wole slab on instead of pieces , used less rub and had the grill at a higher temp. 275 I had a pan of water by the fire box.. I left them on for 5 hrs and ran out of charcoal. the slab closer to the fire box was more tender.

Thanks for the help

Marinate your ribs in champayne overnight.......It will break down the meat fibers......Very tender and juicy ribs.......Something a chef once taught me!!

kevin-california

Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:56 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

I agree with Paul P because I personally don't like ribs falling off the bone. Even in roasting meats I would rather have to chew alittle more to save the flavor.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:52 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Rick thanks for posting your method. It gives us a chance to compare techniques. I smoked some baby back ribs Saturday and used a very similar method but with very different times.

--pulled the membrane off
--marinated them in white grape/peach juice
--covered them in a glass casserole dish with plastic wrap overnight
--used G.P. dry rub from HTG pg. 441
--sat at room temp while I warmed the smoker
--cooked low and slow (225-250) (used two thermometers at difference levels)
--misted with white grape/peach juice every hour or so (didn’t have any apple cider)
--used wet pecan for the smoke (still don’t have any apple wood)
--after 5 hours I wrapped in foil and put them back in the smoker
--continued the cook at 225 for another hour

After letting the ribs rest for 10 minutes (couldn’t wait any longer) I gave them a try. They were the first batch (out of three) of ribs since starting to cook Low-N-Slow that I could say were pleasure to eat. The meat was tender and pulled from the bone just the way I like it. Peach and pecan was surprisingly good together.

This is the first time I’ve used the foil method, so that may be the biggest factor affecting the success of this batch. Thanks to all above for the foil tip! :)

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:01 pm
Rick rare
rare

Sounds great Bob! Gota be the foil thing!!!

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:46 pm
slard

i've got a successful rub and technique for my ribs that suits me well, but i've got a bit of a problem. i have a few guests coming over next week who are doing the low-carb thing. my rub isn't particularly high in sugar, but i like to be as hospitible to my guests as possible. any suggestions are appreciated.

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:02 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Use Splenda, I do it all the time. Check out their web site for conversion and measurements. http://www.splenda.com/

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:20 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good to know. I wasn't sure it could stand up to the heat.

In the past I've just done a paste of kosher salt, cracked black pepper, a little cayenne or any other ground chile (notice the spelling you chile grill fanatics) and thyme or other herb combo.

The sweetness really isn't missed. Pork seems to hold it's own no matter what we do to it. JUST DON'T OVER SALT IT!!!

I'll spray baste with a clear baste made from herbs and seasoning steeped in diluted cider vinegar (water and or beer) and strained through cheesecloth (this is starting to become my best friend) and do a pickle style slaw to go with it all.

I've really got to try the Splenda thing. Just to add one more trick to the bag.

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:32 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It's my grill and I'll spell how I want to! :wink:

"Me Fail english?, that's unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggum

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion