Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mad Cow disease

Mad Cow disease

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:47 pm
Rob Hogan

Mad cow disease aka BSE can't be contracted eating muscle cuts of beef, only brain or spinal products if the animal were contaminated. It can't be renderend inert by cooking to a higher temperature as it is a radical protein and is not bacteria or viral.

There has been much damage to the livestock industry in the US by media hype when generally they were only interested with headlines.

The US livestock industry is the safest in the world. There has only been one reported case in all the millions and millions of animals raised. The probability of getting struck by lightening while standing on your head is much greater than contracting BSE from US beef.

Dr. Robert Hogan

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:55 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Dr. Hogan,

Thank you for your valued opinion. Many here on the board have echoed your response. Personally, I have not changed my thoughts about eating beef. We continue to enjoy it as one of the favored meals in our household. I do feel that, as in many other issues, media hype does more harm than good. Just my personal feelings. Thanks for your insight.

Pete

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:57 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've got half of an 'extremely upset' cow headed towards my freezer next month. It's on a special diet right now so that I can be on a special diet later! :wink: I know the sister of a rancher and she offered to half with us. I bought from this rancher last year and the beef was excellent. Mad Cow will have to be more than a 'media scare' to curb our beef.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:05 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Bob - Enjoy your purchase, it truely is a wonderful thing. I know when I got mine and opened the freezer the first time to behold all that beef, I shed a small tear...
I find myself trying more things now since it is in high supply as opposed to sticking with the tried and true favorites.
Enjoy! I look forward to hearing how you make out.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:20 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Thanks for the input Dr. Bob!

Previous

Return to General Discussion