Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cooking in the cold

Cooking in the cold

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:30 pm
chagan well done
well done

I think that the smoker is smoking, drinking, cursing, and more importantly crying :(
Poor guy.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:43 pm
kl8ton rare
rare

Well Roff, I must say, I wouldn't mind "Trading Spaces" with you. I have a starter house and my kitchen is very very small....maybe that is why I like grilling, I can stretch my arm out. I love winter grilling. When you use chips on a calm day, the smell stays in the air for a long time after you are done. It lingers......
Clayton

Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:34 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Ok Grand Scale. It got to 39 today on the patio Christmas day. But perserving, I fired the smoker to a huge 450 in the chamber, violating all smoking rules. Two beef tenderloin roasts coated with lots of salt and pepper (near $200 worth of meat) went it. I turned them periocically to sear them and at precisely 122 degrees (about 40 minutes) on the inside they came out. They rested for 15 minutes. Ah, nice and rare, seared and slightly smoky on the outside. They were a hit. Almost the best beef I have ever eaten even if I say so my self.

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:53 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Way to go Larry :!: Congratulations on a wonderful success!

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:49 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Roff - CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to the wonderful world of cold weather grilling!
Glad to hear everything turned out great!

Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:06 am
dkirn well done
well done

You can't go wrong with a nice rare beef tenderloin - I fixed the same thing for my family on Christmas Day for dinner - I conpletely ignored the people who said they only eat their meat "well done". At first I tried to explain what a crime this was then went outside to finish cooking. I had a great idea to fool the family. When the tenderloin reached med-rare to rare I came inside and proclaimed that I had ran out of propane (my grill is natural gas) and did not get the meat well done, but came close.

I confessed after everyone had finished dinner and would not stop talking about how this was the best beef that they had ever had!

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:20 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sneaky Devil.
I will have to remember that.
Another question I always get is "do you have any A! or Katchup" One of my favorite responses is "you wouldn't spray paint a ferrari would you?". On lesser cut I don't care, I do believe in to each his own, but not on my works of art!

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:18 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'll never understand how someone can take a gently aged, carefully seasoned, seared with grill-marks to perfection, choice cut of beef, and completely ruin it with A1 or ketchup. :?

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:58 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Heck, we don't even have any A1 in the house, and the ketchup only comes out for french fries or fried egg sandwhiches.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:50 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I don't care for A1, we bought some a few weeks ago to try Steven's Coke BBQ Sauce. No one liked the sauce so we threw it out. It was probably the A1 sauce, it's just not to our liking.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:33 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

We have never had a bottle of A-1 Steak Sauce in our house. It's just not anything that I would care to put on a steak.

Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:53 am
dkirn well done
well done

Grand Scale - I love the comment about spray painting a Ferrari - Priceless I will have to remember that. Unfortunately most non-grillers do not understand that the word A-1 or steak sauce is a complete insult to most of us. In my experience the people that as for steak sauce are the ones that want their steak well done. When some says that they want their steak well done I always ask about steak sauce and if they say they use it, I will cook the meat to Medium-Well and ask them to taste it without the steak sauce. It works everytime!

I guess I am not happy just saying no, I want to convert these crazy people!! :twisted:

Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:39 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I would prefer my guests eat what I offer them as it is but if it's what they want I have a bottle for them. I figure if it makes them happy, that's what BBQ is all about.

Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:04 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I prefer to experience a dish the way it is intended. A little off the subject but; the time I made North Carolina Pulled Pork, for instance, I made the slaw that is served on the sandwich in the same manner you would eat lettuce and tomato on a burger. The wife invites several people over for pulled pork sandwiches and they’re all eating the slaw on the side, like they are from Texas or something. Even after telling them it was suppose to be ‘on’ the sandwich they still wanted it on the side.

Great steak was never meant to be swimming in sauce. But some may never learn. Dave, I like the way you get them to try it first! That’s in good taste.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:42 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

To enforce that its never too cold...

This weekend I grilled to perfection a wonderful Texas Longhorn Asian marinated (Oil, Soy, Teriaki, garlic, ginger, mustard, seasoned pepper, orange juice) london broil.
I started by firing the grill up to 600 degrees. Cleaned it off and backed the heat down. Everytime I opened the lid the mounted thermometer would drop 100 degrees. By the time it was all said and done the meat was a perfect medium rare and had excellent grill marks. I thought I had a piece of beef big enough for 5 with major leftovers. It was ALL gone (the dog even ate the bone).

IT WAS 14 DEGREES!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion