Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Char Crust

Char Crust

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:56 pm

Looking for a wet or dry rub recipe that emmulates a product called "Char Crust:" made in Chicago to char steaks a bit better on a gas grill. Paul Kirk's Basic We Rub found on page 78 of his book, Barbeque Sauces seems to be a good starting point. The stuff really works, but a a buck and quarter an ounce its on the expensive side!

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:16 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

There are a couple of sites for " Char Crust" :

www.charcrust.com/

www.ironq.com/ (page down to "spices and rubs")

Hope this helps you, or at least gives you some where to start at..

Pete

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:13 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Hickory Pete -

Have you used this product before? If so what are the results?

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:09 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

dkirn,

I've never used this product before. I just went looking for the web site to try and help the originator of the post. Hopefully, if the information is helpful, the person who started the post will share it with all of us. It does sound interesting.

Pete

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:41 am
dkirn well done
well done

I have ordered some and I will post my results

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:05 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Thanks, dkirn. Charcoal blackened crust really does sound good. I'll keep looking to see if I can find something similar to the recipe anywhere, and post it if I find it. In the meantime..looking forward to your results.

Pete

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:48 pm
dkirn well done
well done

My brother said that he has a recipe for the Char Crust rub (he lives in Chicago). If I get it I will post

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:12 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Maybe we can talk Steve into formulating a version of this for us. Steve?

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:26 am
hickory pete well done
well done

That's a great idea. It looks as if Char Crust is proprietary, and very well protected. I have noticed that in some instances, Steven, will take a recipe and develop it by taste, tweaking it a little to improve it. I have read this in some of his books, just can't think of which specific one it was. Of course, that's how new ideas develop. Well, enough of my Monday morning rambling...

Pete

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:56 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Yep, IMHO that's really what sets Steve apart is his ability to conduct such alchemy. Forget about his classic french trainging and what not. Chefs like that are a dime a dozen. His ability to blend spices and herbs is IMHO exceptional. Steve, help us out with something for this.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:41 pm
chagan well done
well done

I hear that Julia Childs was a wiz at doing that too.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:47 am
chagan well done
well done

Who would have believed that while strolling through the local Shopright last night that I would come across the afore mentioned product. Needless to say, I picked up a bag of the original hickory and also a bag of the smoky spicy southwest. Now whilst I was merely out to gather some milk for the young one, this prompted a detour to the butcher. Picked up 3 nice new york strips and the adventure was about to get underway. I dredged the 3 cuts in the mixture, coating evenly on all sides and placed them in the broiler for 5 minutes the first side, and 4 minutes the other. They came out to a nice medium. I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with the outcome- sweet, spicy, sour, everything was present. Nice color and texture as well. Highly recommend this one. Thank you guest. As for the ingredients:

Original Hickory- Processed wheat, salt, sugar, spices, caramel color, hydrolyzed soy & corn protein, paprika, mustard, natural hickory smoke.

Spicy Southwest- Processed wheat, salt, sugar, chili peppers (red, ancho, chipoltle), spices, onion, garlic, cilantro, caramel color, natural mesquite smoke flavor, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, paprika.

Good luck with the "spices" portion. it shouldn't be too hard for the vets out there to figure it out. Cheers

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Return to General Discussion