Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Turducken

Turducken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:42 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Are there any Turducken veterans here? I'd like to know the ins and outs of preparing one. What is the ideal turkey/duck/chicken size? Any other tips would be great!

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:17 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Here Here!!
Thats a great question, I too have seen these and thought that they looked really tasty and quite cool.
I even thought of adding a quail in there as well.
I hope someone can also explain the whole deboning process, at least to the point that my wife can understand it. I'm not allowed to play with knives...

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:50 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

This is unbelieveable! I had a guy in the office ask me about this just ten minutes ago. I've no heard of such a beast. He said that he saw it on T.V. where they stuff one bird into another. We'll have to look this up.

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:54 pm
chagan well done
well done

I believe that this is one of John Madden's favorites along with the 6 legged turkey. I heard that he has a book out called the ultimate tailgate book or something like that. We can probably find out about these unique delights in there.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:01 pm
chagan well done
well done

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:27 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Thanks for the links although I had already purused a few of them I was hoping someone here had actually expereinced this process.

Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:18 pm
Rose

We have made it twice and it has always created a lot of "wows". However, we realized that the third time will be the charm. It is not that difficult. The first time we deboned all the fowls from the inside leaving every bird whole. Not smart.

We roast it at 350 for 4 hours, starting with a 15 pound turkey to finish at 160 degrees internal temperature. I feel Prudhomme's recipe is too complicated. We decided that one duck is not sufficient enough for everyone to get a piece. Another thing we learned was that the stuffing tends to be too mushy for our taste since it absorbs a lot of the moisture from the birds. Maybe wild rice would be better.

Return to General Discussion