Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Holiday Leftovers

Holiday Leftovers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:41 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Our buddy Hickory Pete threw down the gauntlet and challenged me to come up with a new thread, and I'm not the type to turn down a challenge or a cold beer.

So let's try this one on for size...

What does everyone do with their Holiday leftovers?
Are there any unusual recipes, favorie treats, amazing taste sensations?

Let's face it sometimes the leftovers are the best part!

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:36 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I'm going to try doing turkey pot pies.

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:06 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Alright - I must confess I came up with this my first Thanksgiving after moving into my first apartment many, many years ago when I had absolutely no money and no food in my fridge. I went to my parents for Thansgiving dinner and took all of the leftovers that were available home with me. After about 5 days of eating nothing but Thanksgiving Leftovers not only was I getting low on leftovers, but I also wanted something a little different. When I opened my fidge all I had was some turkey and a package of pepperoni. I took a skillet (I was a single guy with only one pan) and placed the turkey in it and added some pepperoni and it was actually pretty good. Now it just does not seem like Thanksgiving unless I have at least some Turkey w/ Pepperoni!

Grand Scale - Good topic, this should get interesting

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:49 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Since Thanksgiving is traditionally spent at one of the in-laws, we are fortunate to be sent home with some of the leftovers. I know this may sound rather uninspiring, but the dinner is always cooked to perfection, and I like to reheat it to have it just the way it was. No matter what the holiday is, generally, the bulk of the leftovers are sent home with the kids. I think the leftovers are the best part of any holiday, and sometimes result in making late night raids in the fridge.

Grand Scale..I knew you could do it. I'm looking forward to reading the responses

Pete

Post Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:00 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Ok lets see...
2 hours later - Sandmich, OK maybe two sandmiches
14hrs later... Quiche
24hrs later... Pot Pie
48hrs. later... Soup
72hrs. later... Order a pizza
Live Different

Post Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:14 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

We definitely try to have all guests (generally the kids) take all left overs. I do get the carcas for turkey stock.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:20 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays are spent at the in-law's (my family is out of state) and we usually all gather after Thanksgiving to decorate their house for Christmas and finish as much of the leftovers as we can the next day.

The 4th of July, however, is another story. Since we have two 200' concrete driveways and a 20'x36' carport, we have the perfect place for a cookout and fireworks shoot-off with about 50 of our closest friends! So when I get the leftovers it's BBQ and homemade ice cream!!!

I'm in "hog" heaven for the next few days.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:30 pm
chagan well done
well done

I am under the impression that there is no greater sandwich than a thanksgiving sandwich. I lightly toast and mayo some Potato Rolls :lol: then pile on the turkey, stuffing, sweet potato, and a slice of cranberry , top it with some salt and freshly ground black pepper and away I go. Lish.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:32 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Most definitely it is a samich about 10 at night, piled with smashed potatoes! As a hockey referee (hence the name stripegrill) I am always working games that weekend, so there is nothing better than coming home and reheating turkey and stuffing and tatos adding some cranberry sauce and maybe a dash of hot sauce.

Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:53 am
odysseyroc

Turkey tacos with cranberry salsa.Can't ever go wrong with tacos.

Return to General Discussion