Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Deep Fried Goose or Smoked Goose???

Deep Fried Goose or Smoked Goose???

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:11 pm
lostsoul rare
rare

Hello!

Has anyone tried deep frying goose? Christmas tradition has always been my grandmother cooking a domestic goose in the oven. Since she has passed I would like to revive her tradition, but am looking for input from perhaps someone who has tried deep frying a domestic goose or even tried smoking one. I realize goose is quite fatty so I would think that smoking it would draw out quite a bit of it. Deep frying is a complete unknown as far as what it would produce? Anyone have any input or suggestions? :wink:

Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:22 pm
Smoked goose

A smoked goose is fairly easy. The fat does basically "confiti" the meat....At least I think that is the term. It will still be very fatty, but you can cut it away after it is cooked. Brine the goose, and them smoke for about 5 hours.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:44 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've smoked wild goose before and it is one of my favorites. I'm sure the domestic bird would be just as good. Smoke it just like you would a turkey. There are other posts here regarding that so I won't retype whats been said already. If you can't find the info let us know, we'll help you out.
Although you do have a great idea for frying one. That should be excellent.
Decisions Decisions
Please let us know how you make out.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:21 pm
lostsoul rare
rare

Grand Scale wrote:
I've smoked wild goose before and it is one of my favorites. I'm sure the domestic bird would be just as good. Smoke it just like you would a turkey. There are other posts here regarding that so I won't retype whats been said already. If you can't find the info let us know, we'll help you out.
Although you do have a great idea for frying one. That should be excellent.
Decisions Decisions
Please let us know how you make out.

No goose so far but I did find a domestic duck that I snatched up at the store this evening; I am definitely going to brine it before deep frying. I have a brine that uses a wee bit of liquid smoke that really makes poultry just delicious ... kind of marries both the taste of smoking the bird but has the crispy outside when deep fried.

Once I have "cooked my goose" so to speak, I will let you know how it turned out. Thanks! :lol:

Return to General Discussion