Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Temporary Rib Racks

Temporary Rib Racks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:56 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm thinking about doing a large amount of ribs but I only have 2 rib racks (3 racks per). Does anybody have any suggestions on how to rig up or improvise something to fill the bill for a one time deal or am I better to just invest in more racks?

I don't really want to cook them in advance because they're never quite as good.

Any suggestions?

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:05 am
WeberBoy rare
rare

Click this link for suggestions: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribse ... l#capacity

You can also make a "house of cards" with the racks. Just lean them against each other with the minimum amount of meat touching.

WeberBoy

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:46 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Its MacGyver time. Here we go...
1) Set up a line of bricks at each end of the pit.
2) Use thin strands of metal (hangers) lined up horizontally about two inches apart on top of the bricks.
3) Cap with another line of bricks.
4) Insert ribs between hangers.

Instant massive rib rack.
Live Different

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:03 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

C'mon MacGuyver would have his pocket knife, a wad of chewing gum and some plutonium in there somewhere! Plus he'd turn baby back ribs into prime rib!

Great idea!
Thanks

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:25 pm
dkirn well done
well done

OK - I must admit that I have never tried rib racks before. When I make ribs I make them on my smoker - I always assumed that the rib racks helped those who did not have a smoker and simply fixed ribs on a grill, am I wrong about that? If anyone uses these with a smoker what is the benefit. Sorry about the basics here it is something that I just never looked into or tried.

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:09 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

They have no real effect on the quality of the ribs, they are purely a space tool. I can fit six rack on my smoker so I don't need them unless I am smoking ribs and another big hunk of meat.
Live Different

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:37 pm
dkirn well done
well done

That was what I had always thought, but with all the talk I was starting to think that I was missing out on something

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:23 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

In addition to the space issue I like the racks for three main reasons:

1. They help reduce charring from flare ups. Which always can happen. (at least to me) The racks reduce the surface area of the potential charring.

2. Applying sauce is easy. Douse the top edge and watch is run down.

3. No flipping = more time for TV/Beer

I use them on grill and smoker

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:40 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Grand Scale -

Thanks for the additional reasoning - any suggestions on design or brand of rib racks?

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:59 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I like the ones that are wire built over the ones that are sheet metal built. I like the fact that I can see the racks easier over some of the ones that are more closed in. There are many on the market. I bought mine at Lowes. Its nice because it also has potato spikes on the edges.
Let me poke around the net and see if I can find a link for you to one or two.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:07 am
dkirn well done
well done

Thanks for the info - I think that I have see the one at Lowes that you are talking about - I will see if they have any more instock.

Thanks

Return to General Discussion