Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wild Game

Wild Game

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:47 am
Trollby well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Did you grill it? How'd you do this year?

I cast-iron pan seared so I could make the pan sauce and cook the Onions and Mushrooms for the gravy

This year was a Bust, I only got out 5 of the 9 day hunt and two of those were very crappy weather. First time in 9 years no fresh venison. But I got 4 last year (kept 3) so I have some left to hold me over

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:14 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Hi and welcome back, HSG. I don't have any personal experience with venison but there are wild game marinade recipes in Steven's book Sauces Rubs and Marinades and Paul Kirk's 2 Championship Barbecue books, and I've heard and read about buttermilk marinades being used to reduce any gamey flavors.

Red wine and juniper seem to be popular marinade ingredients.

Good to see you back, HSG!

I use the wild game marinade from Sauces, Rubs and Marinades, usually. That's the one with red wine and juniper.

However, I've tried some buttermilk marinades as well and they work nicely. One of the simple marinades I've tried is as follows:
1 quart buttermilk
2 tsp salt
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp chopped garlic (yes - that's right, lots of it)
A few grinds of black pepper
4-6 sprigs rosemary

I usually add a bit of thyme as well. The above marinade is a South African one for lamb but it also works really well on venison, elk, moose or any other lean big game. I normally marinate large pieces of meat overnight and smaller ones for 4-8 hours. The buttermilk also helps plump up the meat a bit and keeps it moist.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Previous

Return to General Discussion