Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Need Plans for smoker

Need Plans for smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:27 pm
BUDMAN66 raw
raw

I am getting ready to build a smoker to mount on a tandem trailer and need some good plans or drawings for suggestions. The tank is an old air industrial air compressor tank that weighs 750lbs. by itself, approx. 5'-5.5' long and 3'-3.5' diameter.
I want to put a firebox on one end and an up-right smoker on the other with propane burners in the fire box to get the wood going good, also want to put a propane burner on the side somewhere for a deep fry pot. I will be building the trailer frame from scratch with
"c" channels and putting it on 2 trailer house axles. also need suggestions for the firebox on what mat'l to use to make it last longer before burnout. Please any info or web-sites would be very appreciated. thanks...
REAL BAR-B-Q DON'T NEED SAUCE, AND IF IT HAS BEANS IT AINT CHILI!

Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:16 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Budmann you are a man after my own heart. You are not doing this half assed!!

I've never built one of my own so I can't offer too much advice but I've used one of Big John's trailer grill before, I believe their website may offer some advice if in no other way than by pictures of their line. Try searching other manufacturers as well and plagerize their designs and features.

What I can say is that if I were pulling out all the stops as you are...My beast would be STAINLESS STEEL!

Please when you're done share pictures of your beast!!

Good Luck!

Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:45 pm
BUDMAN66 raw
raw

Thanks for the info on big johns, I will look there. I have been robbing ideas from every site I can find as well as ideas from other builders. I just don't want to copy anyones idea, I want t do my own with a little of their's incorperated in. Maybe that way I can improve it a little more. Hopefully. As far as the tank goes it is very heavy just for a smoker, but hey, it was free! Cant beat that price. Now if I can pull it with anything less than a KENWORTH it will be great! I will post pics of it when i finish it. I was thinking of doing a step by step shoot of the whole thing. Thanks for the reply. :)
REAL BAR-B-Q DON'T NEED SAUCE, AND IF IT HAS BEANS IT AINT CHILI!

Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:41 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Budmann66 - well good luck with the smoker, I think you are doing something that most of us at least think that we will be doing at some level in the future. I would love to see your progression when you are building it - if you have the desire to put together a website with the progession and lots of pictures I kow everyone would love to see it!

Return to General Discussion