Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Ostrich

Ostrich

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:37 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I have an ostrich farm nearby and am thinking about going over and purchasing some. I'd rather not just assume to prepare it like chicken or turkey or hens or ducks since to my pallete different things work for different kinds of poultry and don't always necessarily translate one to the other. Any ideas or experiences with ostrich would be much appreciated. :)

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:55 am
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Actually it would be better to think of it as beef. It is a flavorful red meat, I have had it as burgers , in jerky and as a tenderloin.
Live Different

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:00 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've had it before as well as Emu (another long legged flightless bird) both are very similar to beef as stated prior. The times I've had it it was used in dishes that traditionally called for veal. Quite Tasty.

The eggs are also delicious. Huge!

Let us know what you try and how you make out.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:19 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Thanks for the info, I'm still a week or so away from trying it as I have to cook/ eat some free ranging chickens I have before I purchase some ostrich. I wanted to get some ideas well ahead of time.

Post Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:25 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Airfoils,

I don't know if this reply is too late, but I did see a T.V. program yesterday about Ostrich cooking. It's a red meat that is suppose to be very flavorful. Probably the most important part of the show, was that it is a very lean meat and should be cooked medium/medium rare, or it will be pretty dry. Preparation was a simple rub, can be one of your choice, but as some have mentioned in previous posts, should be cooked as beef. I have to admit it did look interesting. Let's us know how you made out...good luck.

Pete

Post Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:37 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Airfoils,

I found the website for the show that cooked the Ostrich: www.forkintheroadtv.com. The ostrich was grilled with a maple spice rub. Give that site a try, the show was #105 if that helps you. I have been trying to find Steven's show, but it was replaced by this one.

Pete

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:36 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

Put me down for a drumstick!

:lol:

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:30 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

A local burger joint, has ostrich burgers on it's menu. They are quite tasty,very similar to beef in taste. I'd like to find a local supplier, I'd cook with it if I could buy it locally.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

We have an ostrich farm near us, which I have not been to yet. I need to get there one of these days. We also have a beefalo farm near us which I have been to. Local organic farms are all good. 8)
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:04 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Hey Bruce,

Which Burger Joint is that near us that has the Ostrich, I'd like to go by and try one of those. Thank's, YBA
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Return to General Discussion