Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chile Grill

Chile Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:38 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Well, There's always milk. (Milk & Jalepenos- Yechhh!)
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:26 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

In case you get ahold of something too hot and just can't wait for it to wear off by itself, try a little spoonfull of mayonnaise.

The stuff that gives chile's their heat is soluble in oil. And what is mayo if not OIL.

And everybody knows the only wine for chili is Ripple!

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:38 am
chagan well done
well done

Hey RIPPLE! Outstanding. My friend and I were thinking about making our own and calling it Old Man Sanford's Ripple. I think that it has a catchy name. I usually get wierd looks when I walk into an establishment and ask for a bottle of their best ripple. Is this a contradictory statement? Anywho, I suggested the PB&J combo, but I was speaking a bit off of the cuff. But now that you mention it, PB is delicious when melted, and it sweetness might go quite well with the heat of the pepper- try to hit as many buds as possible I always say. Well, I don't always say.....

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:11 pm
Fredf

Guys, I would like to know the hole diameter of the holes in the chile grill. Are the holes only the thickness of the metal or is it more like a small cylynder? This looks like a relativly easy thing to make in the shop, (24$ seems a bit high). Also Would you suggest using woodchips when cooking these guys (kindsorta chipotles)?? what kinda wood. Thanks

YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yeah, the holes are just the thickness of the metal. If they were cylindrical and had more contact with the chile's skin they would stick like a motherf (WATCH YOUR MOUTH).

I've had good luck taking an inexpensive meatloaf pan, cutting the sides out so they don't hold too much heat, drilling the holes and cookin' away.

Made a couple of these 2 or 3 years ago after seeing the Chile Grills featured in and issue of Chile Pepper magazine.

I like the loaf pan because if lifts the peppers a little farther away from the heat making it a little more forgiving when you cook peppers at the same time as you grll or grill-roast something else.

Whole shrimp are nice but I've gotten to where I just coarse chop some shrimp, mince some onion and throw a little homemade lower salt Cajun seasoning in a bowl. Most commercial Cajun blends taste like brine to me. Just squish it around with enough cream cheese (sometimes I add a little grated chedder) to hold it together pretty tightly. The pepper, shrimp and the onion will both release a fair amount of moisture when they cook and if you use too much cheese they get kinda squishy.

Let 'em cool long enough to keep their shape and not peel the skin off the roof of your mouth.

Now if we can just keep the chile growers from breeding the heat out of the peppers we'll be in great shape.

By the way the perfect wine for this is a properly chilled youthfull Yuengling or two or...

Whoa! Gotta go make another batch.

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:29 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

The Chilli Grill was one of those items on my Christmas wish list that I did not receive. Your idea about using meat loaf pans is really brilliant! That's what I like about this message board. There are so many ideas that are really useful and simple to make.

Pete

Post Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:21 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Still haven't grabbed one. I like the chili shaped one since it's designed for a Weber 22 1/2. Anybody have one of those? How does it fit?

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:01 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ok Yard Burner where have you been hiding? It sounds like you've been at this all along! Shame on you for not speaking up sooner. I really like your take on these things. Plus you drink Yuengling. You've always got to watch the quiet ones from Damascus. But I won't hold that against you, any man who gets chili pepper magazine (which I've never heard of) is ok in my book!

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:09 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

:oops: I guess I can now admit that I had not heard of a chili grill until I started frequenting this web site. Yeah, I know, pretty uninformed. But I will redeem my self, and am about to do some surfing to find a good one. Seems there is plenty of informatioin about the brands here. Or maybe one of our loaf pans.....we will see.

Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:25 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

ThrRoff, Stop at nothing!!! If you like poppers then you'll love a chili grill. Have I mentioned that I love my Chili Grill? :wink: It makes chilis ten times easier than straight-on-the-grate like I used to cook them.

Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:30 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I made Calamari with parmesan cheese in bananna peppers this weekend. They were great. The only thing I'll do different is to poke a hole in the bottom of the pepper, this will let the excess calamari juice drain out, and since parmesan isn't very liquid the cheese should stay in. Overall they were very good.

Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:11 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

www.chilepepper.com/

GrandScale try this and see.

Yes I'm a chile head and no I'm not quiet.

Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:53 am
dkirn well done
well done

Yardburner

Thanks for the link to that great site and the magazine

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:31 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It's BAAAACK! The CHILE grill that wouldn't go away!

Grand Scale and the rest of ya' slobs. Don't know if this one has crossed your path yet.

www.officemart.hypermart.net/poppers/index.html

Check it out. Add it to the secret tricks file and deny all knowledge of any outside influence.

Can't get too hot for me!!!

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:31 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thats almost identical to the ones I built. I didn't have the side lip on mine (reduced shop time) and I have 1 smaller handle right in the middle. My handle can easily be picked up with tongs, eliminating burn't fingers or the need for hotpads. Mines also taller for longer items.

Still love these things!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion