Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chile Grill

Chile Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:24 am
dkirn well done
well done

Thanks for the toothpick tip - I was looking at the picture the other day (still waiting on my happy jalapeno grill) and I looked at the peppers that I grow and they did not seem as big as the holes in the grill and had been thinking about a solution before it arrives.

Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:27 am
dkirn well done
well done

Grand Scale -
You do know that if this does not work out, you might need to go into the Federal Barbecuer's Protection Program and change your login identity! :shock:

Just kidding - thanks again for turning me onto something new.

Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:33 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dkirn-
You mentioned that you grow your own peppers. Can you share some advise on the matter. Since I've begun to go through peppers in mass quantities I thought that it would be fun and perhaps cheaper to try growing my own. I've started saving my seeds, from there what wisdom can you impart?

Grilling I know, plants I don't.

Thanks
Mr. Brown-Thumb himself. aka Grand Scale

Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:59 am
dkirn well done
well done

Grand Scale -

Well I am not really a plant guy either I had tried for the last two years to get some peppers growing from seeds that I had saved and basically got small plants to grow, but no peppers. This past spring I was at a local farmers market when I found a vendor that sold not only peppers but also sold the plants as well. I purchased plants that were approx 3-4 inches tall and planted them into a planter box that I have on my deck (the same way that I grow my herbs). Throughout the summer my plants produced some peppers, but they were basically useless due to there small size. However about 2 months ago the plants had continued to grow and had bloomed again with atleast 75-100 blooms on each plant! And since then they have bloomed 2-3 times since with the same amount of blooms each time. The one thing that I found was the the more that I trimmed (either dead branches or when removing peppers) the more blooms that appeared.

The most important part for the peppers is to place them in a place where they get full sunlight - you will notice on a overcast day the plants will droop and look as if they are dying but all then need is a sunny day.

Hopefully that helps some.

Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:01 am
dkirn well done
well done

Grand Scale -

Well my chile grill arrived yesterday so I had to change our dinner plans so that I could use my new grilling toy. All I can say is THANKS! Not only was it so easy to make the peppers with the chile grill but they taste incredible

Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:49 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

THATS GREAT!
I'm glad you enjoyed them.
I was a little concerned that I may have to start buying beer as appologies.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:51 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

PS - Now make sure you share any new recipie ideas you come up with.

I just tried cheese and sausage - wow!

Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:16 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Will do - thanks again!

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:21 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Smoked Sausage w/ Velveta in Jalapenos.
A pain in the butt to stuff but boy o boy were they good!

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:35 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

You've got me interested in one of these chili grills. In the past we split the side of the pepper to clean it, wrapped it with bacon to keep it from leaking the cheese and freezing it prior to grilling to keep the cheese solid as long as possible.

The chili grill seems so much simpler.

Tip: When stuffing a jalapeno with cheese I place the cheese in the microwave and melt it slightly so that it is pliable. Not too hot or it will melt the bag. Then I put it into a plastic bag and cut off a corner. Now squeeze the bag and "pipe" the cheese into the pepper.

Bob-BQN

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:50 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Grand Scale -

I just fixed a batch of peppers stuffing them with mozzarella (cut into tube like pieces) wraped in pepperoni - completely amazing. You have me hooked - I find I spend time just thinking of ideas of what to stuff in the peppers. Thanks again.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:14 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great idea Bob!!
Thanks.

Dkirn- Throw a little tomato sauce in there and you've got yourself a pizza!
Sounds good to me.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:40 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I did not think about adding any kind of sauce - now you have got me thinking again!!

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:15 pm
chagan well done
well done

Grand Scale, I bought one and am totally disappointed- where do I pick up my beer? :D

Actually, I am going to place my order shortly- I love poppers, but I prefer the ones stuffed with cream cheese instead of the cheddar-the only 2 choices you have when buying them at a restaurant. However the cheddar ones are more popular- hard to find the cream cheese; not a problem anymore. I'm going to be making my own. I think that I'll start off with peanut butter and jelly poppers and go from there.
:roll:

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:44 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm my best Joisy accent...Quit bust my bolls. :wink:
HA HA
I think you'll like em.
PB & J Poppers, that could be a treat. Let me know how they turn out.

The grills really are a great idea, I just wish I came up with them rather than just talking about them.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion