Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chile Grill

Chile Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:53 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I just have to share my newest grilled taste sensation, not for the faint of heart or tastebud!
I'd seen several websites advertising "chili grill" stands that let you roast/grill chili peppers on the grill "popper" style. After looking around a bit I designed my own and built it in stainless steel with the help a local metal worker.
This lettle device has quickly become a favorite!!
In the last few days I've made over 4 dozen jalepeno poppers, with recipies ranging from cheddar with bacon, monerey jack w/ bacon, colby jack w/ and w/o bacon, shrimp w/ and w/o bacon and ALL have been outstanding. They are easy to prepare and can even be made and stored in advance of cooking. Simply cut the tops, core them out and stuff them.
For cooking I cook them at 350 for 45mins to 1 hour. This cooks out most of the fire and leaves only the tangy goodness. The shorter the cooking time the hotter they are.
I'm glad I made my gril to take 24 poppers, they dissapear fast!

The recipies are limitless as to the types of peppers as well as other uses.
I know I'm just getting warmed up! (After 4 doz. jalepenos, quite literally!)

If you like spicy foods...
TRY THESE!!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:04 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Do you have any pictures of the grill device that you created?

Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:26 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I do not have pictures at this time, I'll try to take some over the weekend.

However I have no intentions right now of selling these guys. There are already others out there who do so, and since I got the idea from them, they deserve the business. It really is a great idea!

Do a google search for "chili grill" -bar and you'll get to the guys who make them and other places to buy them.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:24 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I was going to post a picture for you but the board doesn't make it really easy to do so. If you really want a pic email me and I'll make sure you get one.

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:11 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I think what your looking for is called the Chile Grill (with an E not an I).
Chili is the stuff in a bowl.

www.thesizzler.com

They have several varieties and sizes of ready made holders.

Work good. Taste better.
Last edited by YardBurner on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:33 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yes thanks for the assistance, those guys are one of the manufacturers I found. They obviously got major style points in my book for their cut out patterns (I like the armadillo myself). However I based the one I had made on one more similar to this:

http://www.happyjalapenogrill.com/

Mine is the same concept except made for 24 peppers, has larger holes, taller height, and larger "feet". I thought this would give me more stability on the grill. I thought that the round legs on the sizzler products may get caught/fall in the grill grates depending on how you place it, plus I even though they are very cool I thought the shape led to wasted cooking space. On mine I also added a ring on top to allow for lifting with tongs.

Regardless of where you get it, I highly reccomend these products, the end result is fantastic.

I did cherry peppers stuffed with cheddar topped with baccon this weekend, not as spicy but boy they were good too!

This tool is right up there with rib racks...a must have.

P.S. Before I'm criticized for promoting my own product, let me again state that I am in now way associated with either or the products listed above and have no intention of marketing the one I've made myself. I do this for the love of the sport.

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:16 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Everyone - thanks for all of the links - I just purchased my own and can not wait until it arrives!

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:10 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dkirn- Which one did you go with?

Once you get into it please share your recipies...
Being creative with what to make is part the fun.

Next up for me to try:
Bananna Peppers with Calamari and Parmesean Cheese
Jalapenos and Cherry Peppers with hamburger and Sausage

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:57 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow I guess I should've known from the rib mantra of low and slow that the same would be true for chili peppers!
I lit myself on fire last night!!
I was making Jalepenos stuffed with Shrimp. I thought that since there was no risk of the shrimp bubbling out like there was with the cheese that I didn't need to cook them as long. BIG MISTAKE!!
I cooked them for 30 mins at about 400 and to my eyes they looked perfect. They we so hot, and I like hot food, that I couldn't eat them. My wife called me nasty names and the dog hid under the couch. We're talking severe physical pain here.
The moral of the story is in the world of Chili Grills low and slow is also the mantra. Try 350 for an hour for starters.

By the way does anyone have any reccomendations for dousing the spice fire other than bread and milk? Just incase I forget the mantra again...

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:08 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

This topic intrigued me enough that I went ahead and bought one but went with the sizzler because the other one wasn't much on presentation. I went ahead and got the one shaped like a chile. Now waiting patiently for mine.

Does anyone have reccomendations for a pepper corer?

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:20 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've been using either an apple corer or a vegetable peeler. I like the pointed tip and the curve they have. Sharpness is not necessarily as important a factor as shape. Remember - don't rub your eyes or face and if you have sensitive skin wear gloves!

I've already started saving the seeds out of my jalepenos to grow my own this year.

Boy I hope you guys like these or I'm in trouble for starting this mess huh?

Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:01 am
dkirn well done
well done

I purchased the happy jalapeno grill. There were some others that looked a little cooler, but the happy jalapeno grill seemed to be more functional

Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:03 am
dkirn well done
well done

Grand Scale -

I think you have started something here - I just hope we all like them as much as you do or else....... Just kidding. Thanks for brining something new to this forum - I think we all spend our time here hoping to find unique ideas from others.

Thanks Again

Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:31 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
Wow I guess I should've known from the rib mantra of low and slow that the same would be true for chili peppers!
I lit myself on fire last night!!
I was making Jalepenos stuffed with Shrimp. I thought that since there was no risk of the shrimp bubbling out like there was with the cheese that I didn't need to cook them as long. BIG MISTAKE!!
I cooked them for 30 mins at about 400 and to my eyes they looked perfect. They we so hot, and I like hot food, that I couldn't eat them. My wife called me nasty names and the dog hid under the couch. We're talking severe physical pain here.
The moral of the story is in the world of Chili Grills low and slow is also the mantra. Try 350 for an hour for starters.

By the way does anyone have any reccomendations for dousing the spice fire other than bread and milk? Just incase I forget the mantra again...

Grand Scale,

Jalepenos stuffed with Shrimp really sounds good. I've found that when I have hot food, having a bowl of ice cream shortly afterwards helps control the discomfort. This is one of those recipes that I'd like to try, but will have to think about it for a while..

Pete

Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:15 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

One more note for you guys...
I've been using soaked toothpicks speared about 1/4" down the neck of te pepper to keep them from falling through the holes. If you don't put the toothpick down deep enough on theh pepper as they cook I've had them pull out and fall through the holes.

I guess if you guys that bought one on my reccomendation that if you don't like them the beer is on me huh?

Anxious to hear what you all think.

And don't say I didn't warn you about low and slow!!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Next

Return to General Discussion