Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion rib membrane

rib membrane

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:32 pm
MrMilk rare
rare

OK, anyone got a secret trick as to the best way to remove the membrane from babybacks???

Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:15 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Like Steve recomends on his show I use a phillips hed screwdrive (or and pointed object, I like the screwdrive because its easier to get a hold on) and once you create a loose spot I use a needle nose pliers to get it started. Once you can get it evenly pulled all the way across its easier to then swith to pulling it slow, steady and even by hand.

If anyone else has any better secret suggestions I too look forward to reading them!

It's generally a pain but its worth it in the end.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:08 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I get mine started with a knife and then pull it back using a paper towel since it's slippery, the paper towel will help you get a good grip on it. Just peel it back at it's own pace.

Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:54 pm
Pierre rare
rare

I use an oyster knife. Available in most kitchen stores.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:13 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I use pliers (and a dishtowel)... Usually I start with a sharp knife, grab the edge and with luck, get it in one or two pulls ...

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:25 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

A butter knife will work just as well as an oyster knife.

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:36 am
Rick rare
rare

I agree with Airfoils--I use a small bladed paring knife and cut along one rib, usually about the 3rd one in on the big side of the rack, then I grab it with a paper towel and pull it towards the small end of the rack. Works good.

Rick

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:47 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Sometimes I pull the membrane from one side of the ribs and create a pouch for stuffing. I use rice or bread stuffing, it makes a real nice presentation, and the stuffing comes out real moist from being basted with the meat juices. If you want to make individual portions, just divided each rib rack into 2 pieces. Baby back ribs or lamb ribs work best for this.

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:57 am
Dsorgnzd rare
rare

I find it easier to start by inserting the knife (or screwdriver, or whatever) between the 2nd and 3rd ribs, instead of at the very end of the slab. Then work the knife back toward the edge. This will give you a bigger flap to grab hold of. A paper towel gives a good enough grip to then pull the membrane off.

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:27 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I use the screw driver method. In another thread here someone post a link to a very helpful video by Steven.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:27 pm
JDasmokin rare
rare

All ribs are a little different it is hard for me to say where to start pulling the membrane.
Fish skinning pliers seem to work as well as anything i have found.
Now and then you need to wipe the end of the pliers with a paper towel, although when in the heat of the membrane battle using your hands works well also.
I try to fish when not smoking the skin on those catfish can be as contrary as membrane.

Return to General Discussion