Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Petition for Every Episode of BBQ U From All Seasons

Petition for Every Episode of BBQ U From All Seasons

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sun May 18, 2008 12:59 am
pugwhan rare
rare

Put my name down. I have the best of dvd but would really like every episode.
Read my boring little blog

Post Wed May 21, 2008 12:51 am
primetime34 medium-rare
medium-rare

Would it be wrong for us to pool our resources so if somebody on here has the shows recorded we could pool that resource so those who can't watch it could have access to them? This would not be for profit, of course, but simply a way to help more people see BBQU. For example, I will have all of season 4 saved in wmv format before too long.....would this be okay?

Post Wed May 21, 2008 6:11 pm
primetime34 medium-rare
medium-rare

So basically I'm asking if we could collect all the episodes to create a tape/dvd sharing kind of an idea? Or would that be completely off limits and immoral?

Post Thu May 22, 2008 4:29 pm
stickman medium
medium

I think it would be a copyright violation to do that, but I am not a lawyer.

Maybe we could get an update on the overall topic - is the professor still looking at this thread and would he be willing to let us know what the outlook is for getting all seasons in a DVD collection?

Stickman

Post Thu May 22, 2008 5:33 pm
palenoue raw
raw

I would buy the entire series as soon as it became available! When I got the Best Of DVD a while back, first thing I did was rip it to my iPod. I can't tell you how many times I've shown episodes to people or used it as reference while grilling, and I know for a fact my iPod sold at least ten more DVDs because of that. Due to many factors I have never seen an episode on TV, so I would greatly appreciate DVDs of the entire series.

Primetime34, file sharing of TV episodes is a monster gray area. Technically speaking it's copyright violation (as viewed by the RIAA) but realistically speaking it's terrific free advertising for the TV show. The more people download, the more they watch, the more they tell their friends about the show, and the more likely they are to buy the DVDs. File sharing is what made Iron Chef so popular nation-wide before Food Network started airing it.

So I'd say it's up to Steven to decide if file sharing is okay or not. But since they aren't coming out with season DVDs (and still not selling episodes on iTunes) then file sharing is the only way I'll ever watch any episodes, so I'm hoping he'll say yes. If he does, just google "how to bittorrent" and you'll find hundreds of how-to tutorials.

Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:20 pm
primetime34 medium-rare
medium-rare

I know about bittorrent and would love to hear Steven's opinion about it being used as a method of transmitting his show to another audience. Now that he's started Primal Grill I assume that Barbecue University is finished so.....when can we get all the episodes? :D

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm
primetime34 medium-rare
medium-rare

So no other thoughts on the idea of compiling our resources to get the series put together informally for now?

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:52 pm
palenoue raw
raw

I'd say put up a couple episodes and see how things go. Steven probably can't give his blessings without a squad of PBS attack lawyers pouncing on him, but as long as they don't send you a cease and desist letter you can just keep uploading new episodes so people around the world can get hooked on BBQ University (and I'll finally be able to watch an episode! ;-)

This "Approval by Silence" isn't new, even the BBC does it. I can't find the original article , but basically a BBC spokesman said that while they couldn't come out and say "Thank you" to all of the torrent file sharers, the fact that old BBC shows like "The Goon Show" went from ten sales a month to 10,000 (from all over the world), and the first sentence in all of those new web orders were "I downloaded several episodes and now want to buy them all," they certainly couldn't complain about file sharing without negatively impacting the free publicity.

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:03 pm

I'd buy a DVD collection in a heartbeat.

Primal Grill isn't available here in Tucson (working on it) so that should be made available as well.
Weber Summit S-650
Weber Somkey Mountain Smoker
Weber One-Touch Performer (blue)

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:39 pm

I would be interested. I think I have most of season three on my DVR thanks to PBS in my area. I know several people that would love it as a Chirstmas Gift, and I am one of them.
CharGriller Duo -
Recently used the Mojo Pork Tenderloin Recipe from HTG, Amazing!

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:37 pm
redraider0629 medium-rare
medium-rare

count me in. I can't believe they do not show Barbecue U here in Dallas.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:56 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

redraider do you know that Primal Grill is on Ch. 13 on Saturdays at 4:30 p.m.?

I missed it this weekend. :( But I've got it on DVD! :D

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:16 am
redraider0629 medium-rare
medium-rare

bob, I did see that this weekend. Is that on every Saturday?

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:50 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Yes, for the past 5 weekends. However, if PBS follows their usual programming habits then there will be an interruption soon for fund raising programming. This will last a couple weekends then regular programming will resume.

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:51 pm
geezer medium-rare
medium-rare

I would buy the D.V.Ds and maybe spares too in case i scratched or lost the originals!
Hardcore grilling!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion