Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Newsletter Poll Question

Newsletter Poll Question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:20 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

What’s your favorite way to grill a hot dog?

This month's newsletter lists several great amendments to the American classic. Be sure to sign up to receive your copy!
Last edited by Info@Workman on Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:23 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My favorite is what has become known as the "Bacon Burger Dog" or "Heart Stopper"
I start with Lean Ground Beef, mix in chopped onions, shredded cheddar cheese and ketchup. I then take a high quality ballpark or deli style frank and encase it in the hamburger mixture. This is a somewhat tricky process that is more like sculpting than cooking but it worth the effort. Proceed until you have about 1/4 of beef surrounding the hotdog on all sides. Finally wrap the entire monster in bacon fixing it with a toothpick or two. Cook on the grill on low heat so as to cook through to the hotdog without burning the bacon. Serve on a hogie roll (a standard hot dog but being way to small), include all your favorite condiments and cold beer. Cholesterol Medication Optional!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:57 pm
dkirn well done
well done

To me the only type of Hot Dog that I like is the kind that you get at the ballpark - you know the one that just roll around on those greasy rollers all day long.

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:46 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You want grease?
Did you not read the above description? Just reading about those babys will raise your cholesteral several points.
Try them you'll like them.

Since I know you like spice, add some chopped jalapenos!

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:55 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

OT - When I was in college and living in the prototypical bachlor pad our favorite meal was a bag of Ore Ida french fries covered in a pound of melted chedder cheese and a pound of chopped crispy bacon. We called it a coronary on a plate.
Live Different

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:01 pm
chagan well done
well done

It really doesn't matter as long as the hotdog is a Sabrett (WITH skin casing) and somewhere in the picture charcoal and beer is involved. Also- potato rolls, potato rolls, potato rolls. Did I mention....

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:37 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ok so we've decided on potato rolls...What about the toppings?

On a simple dog I prefer mustard and onions.
Sauerkraut is a close second.
A Chili cheese dog is a whole different animal...that dog has a bite!!

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:43 pm
chagan well done
well done

I like to top mine with an additional potato roll.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:51 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Here in Chicago I prefer a good Vienna Beef Hot Dog that has been steamed, served on a poppy seed bun with mustard, relish, onion, tomato, pickle, celery salt and sport peppers. When I grill them, it is pretty much the same, except then it becomes a char dog and it MUST have grilled onions!

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:07 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Allright I must claim ignorance - what is a potato roll??

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:25 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I know that Italian sausage is not a "hot dog", but that is really our favorite over here. Sausage from the grill, smothered with grilled onions, and put into bakery bread buns.

Pete

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:13 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Earl Campbell hot link with mustard, bbq suce and sauteed onions on a toasted, hollowed bun.
Live Different

Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:36 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

[quote="dkirn"]Allright I must claim ignorance - what is a potato roll??[/quote]

Eight there with you dkirn! We're also wondering what a potato roll is. Never encountered one myself.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:55 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Potato Rolls are in my mind a PA dutch thing but they must be elsewhere too. They appear very similar to any standard bread roll but maybe a bit yellower. Their flavor is richer. They can be store bough from commercial bakeries. Around me I buy from Martins, just as you'd buy bread from Sunbeam, or Holesum, etc. Below is a recipie for potato rolls if you want to try them yourself.

They are quite good.

1 pkg. dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1 c. warm milk
3 eggs
3/4 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. instant mashed potatoes
1 c. milk
6-7 c. flour
Dissolve yeast in water. Stir in warm milk, eggs, butter, sugar and salt. Mix potatoes with remaining cup of milk. Stir in yeast mixture. Add flour a cup at a time to form a soft dough. Cover with greased waxed paper; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk. Knead a few minutes.

Shape into biscuits or put into greased muffin pans. Biscuits on lightly greased pans. Let rise again. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until brown. Six dozen

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:10 am
dkirn well done
well done

Now that you describe them I think I have had them before. Thanks for the recipe I will make some this week.

Next

Return to General Discussion