Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cooking time for Beer Can Turkey??

Cooking time for Beer Can Turkey??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:26 pm
Tank814 raw
raw

I'm tailgating this Sunday and figured on trying beer can turkey for the first time. I've done chicken millions of times but this is my first go 'round with turkey. I was wondering what should I expect for a cooking time on a 12 lbs. turkey?? I have a one of those new Keg grills that are built for beer canning birds.
I'm trying to see if a beer can turkey is feasible for taligating. The parking lots are open 5 hours before the game, which means we get about 3 hours cooking time, then time to prep/clean up and the remaining time put stuff away, a quick game of 2-hand touch, and walk to the stadium in time for the anthem.

Any help on cooking times and what to season the turkey with would be a great help.

Email : Tank814@aol.com

Post Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:41 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Not to rain on your parade but I think you will run out of time.
By the time you get everything fired up, longer if you're using charcoal, and get things going I don't think the bird would get done. I usually figure about 30mins per pound or until the leg bone turns freely in the socket. That's for slow cooking, even at a bit more heat I'm afraid you won't get your bird cooked (at least so you'd enjoy it) in much less than 4.5 hours.
I'd also do a dry run before game day just to get all the bugs worked out.
Sorry for the bad news but I'm sure you'll find some tasty vittles for the big game.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:35 pm
Tank814 raw
raw

Thanks for the reply.
I thought I'd get an answer like that and I kinda figured that a beer can turkey would take a little too long to fit a <5hour tailgate schedule, but I thought I'd ask.

But I have a back idea, let me run this by ya :

What if I fully cooked the beer can turkey on Saturday, and then brought it to the tailgate, re-heated it on the grill again with a beer can??? Think the turkey would get too dry by re-heating? I was thinking if you re-heated by using a beer can that it would keep it moist?
Anyway, just my thinking, but I'm not Steve.

Any thoughts on my idea??

Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:52 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sounds like a real interesting plan to me. I suppoe if you were to undercook it the first time and finish it off at the game. Yeah its crazy enough it just might work! My only question is will you be able to get the skin as nice a crispy as normal.

Give it a go, Let us know how you make out!

If all else fails the Pit Beef Guy between lots B & C just North of Hamburg Street still has the best sandwiches around!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Return to General Discussion