Board index Barbecue Board FAQs and How-To's Tree Identification

Tree Identification

From board specific to BBQ specific and back again, all the information you'll need to enjoy your stay here or in your backyard.

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:39 pm
semperrob rare
rare

This thread should be titled "How Different Types of Trees From Quite Far Away." Number one, the larch. The larch.

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:59 pm
Purkolator rare
rare

Dinsdale!?
~Purkolator

CG Smokin Pro
Crappy Old Green Grill

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:02 pm
stlouBBQ well done
well done

Awesome thread! Thanks guys.

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:06 pm
BingeAndPurge medium
medium

I'm glad I revisited this thread. As I posted a few months ago, we currently live in the in-laws old place. The FIL has about 8 various fruit trees. I asked him if he had any fruitwood I could use and he said the apple trees need cut back and that he has an old plum tree I could do what I want with. He didn't say anything about the peach or the pear trees. I wasn't 100% about using the plum until now. Thanks.

He also informed me that I now have a near endless supply of seasoned logs and branches of other various hardwoods. I may be venturing into the realm of wood only q-ing.
Back in the land of poisonous nuts

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:01 pm
chrish well done
well done

Looking back over this post I thought id see more pictures posted of wood and its bark, i know theres alot of links but member pics tend to look better.
and ifyour digging through a neighbors pile, if he knows it or not :lol: I ask before digging, what to look for in the bark.

heres the peach wood, Looks alot like silver maple

seasoned hickory wood, smooth bark and notice the BUG holes thats a good sign to Hickory wood,

My photobucket Q-view album, 167 pic's

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z315 ... 83/Q-view/

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:43 am
T-Rex well done
well done

I taking down a tree for my neighbor. She says it's an Arizona Ash. The tree just dried up. I want to make sure as I'm keeping the wood. If you guys can help me then I'll keep some to smoke with and the rest will get torched in my firepit.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:21 am
Combustis Maximus well done
well done

That's not an ash; looks more like Acer Saccharinum to me (that's Silver Maple in English :lol: )

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:57 am
T-Rex well done
well done

And that would be a good smoking wood? Yes?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:11 pm
well done

I would think so. It's a soft maple and should be a mild smoke. I would certainly try it. The worst that can happen is that you don't like it; it's not toxic or anything.
Can you confirm that the branching is opposite rather than alternate? http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/ ... decid1.htm

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:19 pm
T-Rex well done
well done

I'll look at the branching when I get home. Will this make a difference? It is a very soft/light wood. Granted the only limb I have cut of was very light in weight and the wood color is also very light. It isn't dense at all.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

T-Rex ask your neighbor if this tree has ever had a flower or bloom on it, AND did it produce a seed or nut?

Leaves, bark, wood grain, spring flowering, seeds or nuts, branching pattern, fall color, and overall shape & size are helpful when trying to ID a tree.

A Red Oak looks a lot like that too. Both Red Oaks and Maples turn yellow & red colors in the fall.

Both Red Oak and Maple (even Silver Maple) are good for smoking. Now if I could get my mitts on some Sugar Maple... :D

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:48 pm
well done

It's definitely not a Red Oak (Forestry degree here :) )
I'm fairly certain it's a Silver Maple or perhaps another kind of maple with which I'm not familiar.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:00 pm
T-Rex well done
well done

Ive seen the tree before it dried out and there were definitely no nuts being produced, but I vaguely remember some seeds............I think. Don't quote me. I'll take pics of the branches and bark tonight. As a matter or fact I'm going to finish cuttin it down for her today.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:45 pm
rickkm5 well done
well done

best way to test is to toss a couple of chunks in your firepit and check for smell and such

and if that is an arizona ash and it works well let me know , a guy i work with is about to take one down that is all but dead and i am sure he will let me have part of it

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:33 pm
T-Rex well done
well done

She confirmed that it is a maple. It's a silver it has opposite branching. Eventhough it is dry it has a sweet smell to it.

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs and How-To's