Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion veggies

veggies

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:23 pm
Cathtrain

Bought How to Grill today, finally. I really got hooked on grilling this summer, especially after getting some terrific ideas for grilling veggies - mostly various types of squash. I've never particularly cared for squash but they are so prolific in the garden and such great keepers - anyway I got several recipes off the Betty Crocker web site, which I kind of combined into one I use all the time -- sliced squash (any and all kinds) and onions, green and red peppers chunked -- soak in a marinade of olive oil and lemon pepper (or Italian salad drsg) for about one-half hour and then grill direct for 15 to 20 minutes. I never would have guessed anything could be so good. I use my daughter's Weber and have turned into an absolute fanatic, thanks to Steve and BBQ boot camp. Love your book -- the photos are outstanding. I live in Michigan and have a vision of standing outside grilling when it's 20 below in the snow. Hey, no problem.

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:18 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Cathtrain wrote:
Bought How to Grill today, finally. I really got hooked on grilling this summer, especially after getting some terrific ideas for grilling veggies - mostly various types of squash. I've never particularly cared for squash but they are so prolific in the garden and such great keepers - anyway I got several recipes off the Betty Crocker web site, which I kind of combined into one I use all the time -- sliced squash (any and all kinds) and onions, green and red peppers chunked -- soak in a marinade of olive oil and lemon pepper (or Italian salad drsg) for about one-half hour and then grill direct for 15 to 20 minutes. I never would have guessed anything could be so good. I use my daughter's Weber and have turned into an absolute fanatic, thanks to Steve and BBQ boot camp. Love your book -- the photos are outstanding. I live in Michigan and have a vision of standing outside grilling when it's 20 below in the snow. Hey, no problem.

We've done the same at our house. Squash, Egg Plant, and onions. All sliced and grilled. Also, makes for good sandwiches, Not to mention that they are all healthy. Nice to hear that I'm not the only one in Michigan who will be at the grill during the snowy months.

Pete

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:53 am
Longmill

If you don't already have one, get yourself a grill wok. (Round or square perforated pan.) One of these will put a whole new twist on grilling veggies. Many stir fry recipes can be adapted, if you consider making the sauce separately, if desired.

My favorite squash dish is a stir fry. Slice yellow squash and sweet onions. Lightly coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put the wok on the grill (either gas or charcoal) and let it get hot. Transfer the squash & onion mixture to the wok. Note: If you used too much oil you may get some flaming for a few seconds. Stir fry until browned to your liking. I like a dark brown, not quite to the burning point. Much more flavor.

For stir fry recipes that are a little easier to adapt, look for the ones for low fat cooking, since they tend to use much less oil during preparation.

Longmill

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:41 pm

try roasting peppers and onions on the grill. i'll never buy a roasted pepper again. wrap the onions in foil and place directly on hot coals. I made sausage and peppers for tailgaiting at a DMB show this past weekend. very tasty.
eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we'll die

Return to General Discussion