Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion need smokin ideas

need smokin ideas

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:37 pm
weekend cook well done
well done

If your talking about BCC, I would but the bird on the can. The big pan would not generate enough moisture to make a difference with the chicken. The beer can will keep the chicken moist. Try Coke or Apple Cider instead.
Last edited by weekend cook on Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Louie aka Caveman Cooking Over Fire.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:38 pm
weekend cook well done
well done

I have two and strongly recommend them. Helps keep the bird from tipping over.
Louie aka Caveman Cooking Over Fire.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:40 pm
Susan Z well done
well done

You can smoke cheese,too, but you'll need to cold smoke it (it will melt otherwise!)

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:47 pm
Ironwulf well done
well done

tbh690 wrote:
has anyone tried those bcc contraptions sold at lowes?

I've used one, and they do work. However, they aren't necessary, and it looks nicer without them IMHO. If I were you, I'd save my money and do things the old-fashioned way. The chickens are easier to position with them, so if that's important to you, then by all means get one.

Sorry, can't help you much on the cheese. I'm sure someone else on the board can probably give you more info than I can (hey, I'm 18 here! Cut me some slack!).

Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:54 am
Susan Z well done
well done

Cheddar and gouda are good for smoking, but i suppose you could do just about anything. Only takes 2.5 hrs or less (depending on how smokey you want 'em, and how you keep your temps).

Wrap the cheese in cheesecloth (it will sweat----so it's either that, or drying it off from time to time), Keep your temps around 90. For a weber smokey mountain we're talking about just lighting 3 coals. Some folks, if the cheese gets too warm, pull it off and stick it in the freezer or fridge for a bit until it cools down and then put it back in the smoker, repeating as necessary.

Mild woods like apple or cherry or peach or alder work well, they say.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:58 am
Ironwulf well done
well done

Susan Z wrote:
Mild woods like apple or cherry or peach or alder work well, they say.

Pecan seems like it would work well, too. Not sure of its strength, though.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:12 am
Susan Z well done
well done

Yep, I believe pecan would work, too. Some folks do it in just 1/2 hour. Guess it depends how smokey you want it, but I think a little will go a long way when it comes to cheese. Don't want to oversmoke it and make it bitter.

Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:38 am
coke3324 medium
medium

tbh690 wrote:
I'm looking for ideas for smokin something off the wall this weekend. i'm trying salt, wings, and pecans on the top shelf, any ideas? maybe some game hens...

Just be careful-----I smoked some crab cakes last week, posted the recipie and got raked over the coals myself.

Previous

Return to General Discussion