Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion need smokin ideas

need smokin ideas

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:32 pm
Ironwulf well done
well done

:D Dude... beer can chickens! Do you have a copy of How to Grill? If not, get one. One of the recipes is for a chicken sitting on an open beer can. You can modify it for game hens, too.

Actually, this recipe is mentioned in a couple of Steven's other books, one of which happens to be called Beer Can Chicken. That particular book has a lot more off-the-wall ideas, in case chicken on a beer can isn't to your liking.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:29 pm
CopperPot rare
rare

If you haven't tried the Jamaican Jerk Pork from HTG I would do it this weekend. It's my personal favorite so far. I did it last weekend and I'm doing it again this weekend- plus 2 hickory smoked BCC's.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:33 pm
Ironwulf well done
well done

I mentioned the beer can chicken recipe could be modified to use game hens and other fowl in place of chicken. I've also heard good things about the grilled pizza from HTG if you haven't tried that. It's a direct grilling recipe, but if you're creative, you may try smoking it.

There's also the matambre recipe in HTG.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:50 pm
hobecat rare
rare

I cant wait to smoke some veggies. I was thinking of buying one of those large containers of garlic cloves(already peeled)-about 75 or so. tossing them lightly in olive oil and then smoking them in a tray.When they are nice and soft I will throw them in a blender and make a smoked garlic puree that you could put in a squeeze bottle.That would be a good flavor enhancer for soups ,sauces---even pizza.Actually some sliced sliced garlic would be good on a pizza.The puree would also be something to keep on hand in the fridge.If a guest comes over just pull out the squeeze bottle and squirt it on toasted french bread--mmmm

also thinking mushrooms or a medley of sliced veggies tossed in olive oil. that would make a nice tossed cold salad.

dont mind me---too many hours in the firehouse--going on 34 right now

take care ----meow~~
Never trust a skinny chef!!

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:07 pm
weekend cook well done
well done

Try some meatloaf. BBQ USA has a meatloaf recipe. Also, throw some brautwurst or other sausage on for a couple of hours. There is also a thread about smoked hamburgers. Definitely an oldie done a different way.
Meatloaf
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1664&highlight=hamburger
Louie aka Caveman Cooking Over Fire.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:27 pm
Ironwulf well done
well done

The taste difference will be very slight... perhaps not even noticable.
Last edited by Ironwulf on Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:29 pm
weekend cook well done
well done

When doing a BCC, I really dont taste the flavor of the beer. The beer is there to steam the bird from the inside. I've done BCC with beer, coke, wine and have never really noticed any difference in taste. What effects taste most is the rub and smoke. The liquid keeps it moist.
Louie aka Caveman Cooking Over Fire.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:32 pm
Ironwulf well done
well done

That'll probably get a bigger taste difference, since the meat will absorb the beer directly.

You know, if you're thinking about smoking meatballs in beer, why not go one step further and smoke hamburgers in beer?
Last edited by Ironwulf on Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:37 pm
Ironwulf well done
well done

Just use non-alcoholic beer. The alcohol would evaporate anyway, so no matter which one you use, the taste would not be affected. You should be able to find non-alcoholic beer at most, if not all, of the local grocery stores (or Albertson's at the very least).

Hey, when you do use the real stuff, where do you go to get it (just in case it's closer to the place I have to go)?
Last edited by Ironwulf on Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Return to General Discussion