Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brioche Hamburger Buns

Brioche Hamburger Buns

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:11 am
BchrisL User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

If you are going to make spectacular hamburgers, you need to make spectacular hamburger buns. These are time consuming, but they melt in your mouth and they are porous enough to keep the jucy burger contained. They have one half pound of butter five eggs and milk. There aren't any special traps here, but the order of operations is important. Here is the recipe.

I didn't include the amylase called for in recipe, cause I couldn't find it in any of the grocery stores in my area. I'm sure the flavor suffered, but I didn't miss it. Also the dough has to fill the aluminum foil rings otherwise they won't rise enough. The bun in the front of the plate didn't have enough dough to fill the ring, whereas the ones on top filled the ring. USE BREAD FLOUR. The first time I tried this I used general purpose flour and it was a failure. There was bread, but it didn't rise very well.

Bon appetit!
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:39 am
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Outstanding. Way to raise the bar! And if you don't use them all you can always make pain perdu.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:12 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those buns look great! I'm not a baker but I'll bet I could get one of kids to make them.

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:03 pm
BchrisL User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Those buns look great! I'm not a baker but I'll bet I could get one of kids to make them.

I'm not a baker, either, or much of a cook for that matter, but I know what I like and when I can't get it where I live ( barbeque in the '80s in Northern Virginia ), I start making it myself. I can't tell you how many horrible batches of Q I made my family eat while I refined the method, but finally I got it got it down. Now I am working on bread cause I can't find bread in the store that tastes as good as good as this.

It like making Ikea furniture...just follow instructions, step by step.
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:32 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Good stuff BchrisL
I use a bread machine to make my dough. I found this recipe for bread machine users.

http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/bread-machine-brioche-buns/

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:15 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I think that link just might come in handy...Mrs. Chicken has a bread machine!

I wonder if brioche brat buns would work.

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I think that link just might come in handy...Mrs. Chicken has a bread machine!

I wonder if brioche brat buns would work.

You bet they will. I've had store-bought ones and they're marvelous. But home-madee ones? Even better!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion